Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Nitrites out of hand

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Andyandsue 
#1 ·
I have a 29 gallon, Penguin 150 biowheel filter in my tank. Our ammonia level got to danger and we changed out 5 gallons of water on Sunday and then another 5-6 gallons on Wednesday.(A week ago) I got that down. Then our nitrites spiked since we are still in our cycle. My air pump hose siphoned out 5 1/2 gallons this week....... I put back in that water on Tuesday of this week. Our nitrites are at the extreme danger level and nitrates are approaching harmful. The ammonia level is at stress but not to bad. Our PH has always been high and is currently 7.8. Alkalinity and hardness are in normal ranges.

Should I change out water again even though my tank is still cycling from what i can tell? I'm concerned that i might mess up the cycle if it's not done. I have been putting in Cycle from Nutrafin that adds massive good bacteria almost daily.....

P.S. i cleaned the tank out and cleaned the filter also to get the ammonia down.

#2 ·
fishforless said:
I have a 29 gallon, Penguin 150 biowheel filter in my tank. Our ammonia level got to danger and we changed out 5 gallons of water on Sunday and then another 5-6 gallons on Wednesday.(A week ago) I got that down. Then our nitrites spiked since we are still in our cycle. My air pump hose siphoned out 5 1/2 gallons this week....... I put back in that water on Tuesday of this week. Our nitrites are at the extreme danger level and nitrates are approaching harmful. The ammonia level is at stress but not to bad. Our PH has always been high and is currently 7.8. Alkalinity and hardness are in normal ranges.

Should I change out water again even though my tank is still cycling from what i can tell? I'm concerned that i might mess up the cycle if it's not done. I have been putting in Cycle from Nutrafin that adds massive good bacteria almost daily.....

P.S. i cleaned the tank out and cleaned the filter also to get the ammonia down.
OK lets calm done befor eyou cause more damage. How long has the tank been running for, how many pounds of live rock do you have, what fish and how many do you have? I can tell one problem you have and its the bio-wheel. Remove the bio wheel. They harvest bacteria. Also stop using the Cycle that is worthless. Also are you using tap water for your water changes? If so that can be another problem why everything is outta wack. It sounds like your tank is fairly new and is still in its early stages of cycling. What you want to do is moniter the water parameters like your doing, and do water changes every couple days with RO/DI water. You can buy this water at a local walmart if you have one. Just remove those bio wheels and cut feeding back to one if not none for a few days.

#4 ·
Well forget what I stated. Although you can use some info for freshwater.

#5 ·
Don't panic and have patience. Cycling can be difficult and such a pain! We'll help you through it.

My advice is to keep on testing daily with a quality testing product like API, and changing 10-20% of the water (daily if necessary) when any level gets out of hand. Just enough to get the levels acceptable for the fish without throwing the cycle off. The nitrites have to spike for the cycle to complete. Make sure not to overfeed, and if you are going to add anything to try and help the cycle along, I would only use BioSpira, which got me through cycling 3 tanks effortlessly. I feel anything else is a waste of money, but at this stage you are almost there. You should start to see your Nitrates rise soon, and the ammonia/nitrites decline.

Not sure how long you've had the tank, what fish you have in the tank, what you using to test (strips vs. liquid), or what "I cleaned the tank out" means.

I can't comment on removing a bio-wheel (I use them also). Mine stayed in for all my cycling, so I have not done that, but see what others suggest. You may also want to try and get just a handful of gravel from an established, healthy, aquarium. Do you know anyone who can provide this for you?

#6 ·
Nitrite heck

i siphoned out the fish poop from the rock. :) I updated my tank info after my post. I'm new to this forum. :) I have mollies and swordtails right now. I'm using API tap water filter now. I love it but it didn't change my water quality at all after i put in 5 1/2 gallons. I'm using test strips to monitor levels. THe fish seem happy though. Where can i get Bio-spira? I can't seem to find anybody that carries it but maybe one site that i've never heard of. Tank started with Fish on 1/13/07. So it's been about 6 weeks now. I don't know anyone that has an aquarium right now so i can't get any established rock or filter..... I guess i will try and change out 2 gallons tonight of 29 gallon tank.

#7 ·
Re: <span style=

fishforless said:
i siphoned out the fish poop from the rock. :) I updated my tank info after my post. I'm new to this forum. :) I have mollies and swordtails right now. I'm using API tap water filter now. I love it but it didn't change my water quality at all after i put in 5 1/2 gallons. I'm using test strips to monitor levels. THe fish seem happy though. Where can i get Bio-spira? I can't seem to find anybody that carries it but maybe one site that i've never heard of. Tank started with Fish on 1/13/07. So it's been about 6 weeks now. I don't know anyone that has an aquarium right now so i can't get any established rock or filter..... I guess i will try and change out 2 gallons tonight of 29 gallon tank.
I get BioSpira from my LFS. Try the Marineland website, which is the manufacturer of the product, maybe they can help you locate a store. Or start making phone calls to local stores.

I also highly recommend using a liquid test kit. Most here, including myself use the API Master Test Kit (API=Aquarium Pharmaceuticals). Petco or PetSmart both carry it. The results will be more accurate. At 6 weeks with high nitrites you are almost there! Just keep on going with the daily testing and water changes. Change out what is necessary, don't go too crazy. I used to test, then change water and test again about 30-60 minutes later. It's a pain but the effort now will make it easier in the long run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.