Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Fish compatabilty question and rock building (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/fish-compatabilty-question-rock-building-37888/)

Grimmjow 02-24-2010 12:50 AM

Fish compatabilty question and rock building

So i like Auratus cichlids and even more now that i found out the males change colors, but can i keep them with some demasoni? Its fine if i cant cause a tank of black and yellow would look pretty cool by itself.

Also, when building a rock structure kinda thing like stacking rocks with the wholes in it to make kinda like a cichlid jungle gym, what should i use to hold the rocks together? I saw something in a youtube video about some putty but didnt see any at petsmart today.

mollies 02-24-2010 02:01 AM

Yes you could put demasoni's and auratus together.
But i would want to know what size of tank you have first. An what all you have in your tank as fish go?

Demasoni's you have to have 10 or more in a group. because they are very aggresive to ther own kind.
Auratus males are very aggresive when it is breeding time to.

I dont use any thing to keep my rocks together. I just stak them on top of eachother and let them sit like that. Just make sure you start with a good base rock sat firm to the bottom glass of the tank. then put your sand/ gravel around them. Then start staking the rest of your rock up from there how you want it.

Grimmjow 02-24-2010 04:03 AM

Oh forgot to say its a 75g, i was looking at the lace rocks i think they are, with the big holes in them. They didnt look like they would stack without something to hold them together.

mollies 02-24-2010 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of my tank I use lace rock. I have nothing holding it together. Just stacked on top of eachother. Its a 75 gallon.
What kinds of fish do you have in your tank?
[ATTACH]9033[/ATTACH

rrcoolj 02-24-2010 04:32 PM

Stack the rocks so that the weight is evenly distributed and you will be fine.

Grimmjow 02-24-2010 05:32 PM

Nothing is in it yet, im just still deciding what i want to do. I love plants but i figured that i already have 4 tropical tanks with plants something different and new would be nice.

I really like mixing blue and yellow as for the colors of fish but i prefer smaller (about 4 or 5 inches at the most) and slender fish (ie opposite how discus look). Its just that not pet store around me has demasoni and i kinda dont trust them on labeling every fish correctly.

mollies 02-24-2010 10:19 PM

You could go with Maingano's they stay smaller like the Auratus's do.
Demasoni's are hard to get around Lfs's. Because they only cary 4to10 fry at a time. So the breeders increesed the price of them. It has just started to go down in price tho. Because now more and more breeders are caring a lot more of them at a time.
Livefishdirect.com has some at 12 bucks each. They give a discount if you buy 3, 6, or 12 or more. With Demasoni's you will want to get at least 10.

Grimmjow 02-26-2010 04:38 AM

Alright so say im just doing some Auratus, any specific number of them or male/female ratio i should try for?
Also, I bought 60lbs or the Aragonite (sp?) sand stuff and 15lbs of the crushed coral, do i want 2lbs per gallon and more sandy or more or the bigger crushed pieces with shells and all that?

mollies 02-26-2010 09:32 AM

Well WE NEED you to answer the Quetions about your ph And amonia ect. I will not recomend any thing until then.
I would not use all of thos as a substrat untill you know your PH.......

Grimmjow 02-27-2010 06:38 AM

Sorry, I don't give answers before the question is asked. Water straight from the tap is 7 and the tank is empty.