Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   snails, snails, and more snails... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/snails-snails-more-snails-37875/)

molliefan09 02-23-2010 09:20 PM

snails, snails, and more snails...

So, i have a gold apple/mystery snail that has laid eggs twice....both times they were on the bottom of the tank. the first time, about a month ago, i removed about half, nonethat i removed hatched....about 2 days later i added some ghost shrimp to my tank...the following day i noticed some VERY tiny snails in my tank.....the 2nd time i just left the eggs on the bottom of my tank and 3 days later all the eggs were gone and now i have HUNDEREDS of snails in my tank. i didnt think apple snails eggs were viable if left submerged in water. i dont have ANY live plants in my tank so there werent any hitchhikers un less they came with the shrimp.....is it possible that these eggs from my apple snail hatched?? i will try to get some pics posted...

Angel079 02-25-2010 11:02 AM

If the water conditions are 'right' they breed like bunnies; apperently yours are :-) and the eggs don't hitch hike in with shrimps no.

If they get out of control for you taste, toss a cucumber or zucchini on a fork in the tank at night, as they'll go munch on it all night you can pick up the fork with the snail covered cucumber in the AM and toss it out.

molliefan09 02-25-2010 05:16 PM

but i only had ONE snail.....so unless they are asexual or can store sperm for extended periods of time (ive had her over 6 months)...its just odd

Angel079 02-25-2010 06:15 PM

Uhm no they are gonochoristic(so you'd need M/F mix there) Are you sure its from the appe snails and not maybe another snail in the tank or maybe even fish eggs??? That'd be the first apple snail in history breeding w/out partner. As for how long they could store eggs I have no idea but I highly doubt it would be half a year......

molliefan09 02-26-2010 07:51 AM

at first i thought maybe cory eggs.....but then after researching they looked more like apple snail eggs...i was still a little unsure until this last time when i actually got to see her lay them....here is the threada i posted when i first found them..it has a pic...found these eggs...help IDing

redchigh 03-01-2010 02:20 PM

maybe you could research it a little bit-

There are a few different snail species that are labelled as "mystery snails"
and at least a couple can repruduce without a mate by changing their sex...

That's how they were named "mystery snails"- New snails appeared mysteriously.
Maybe your snails are Mystery Snails instead of apple snails?

molliefan09 03-01-2010 09:43 PM

see....every lfs i go to tells me apples and mystery snails are the same....ive tried arguing with them...but they are the aquatic experts:roll:

Mean Harri 03-01-2010 09:46 PM

I just read something the other day about Apple/Mystery snails. I can't even tell you where. But the comment was made about these snails storing sperm as if the person had heard about it and was seeking confirmation. Indeed they do. I'll look for that right now.

molliefan09 03-01-2010 09:50 PM

i too heard that somewhere.....but what gets me is that it says when the eggs are left fully submerged the embryos drown....how the heck did these guys hatch?!?!?

Mean Harri 03-01-2010 10:04 PM

I can't find it. meh.
Some of them must have stayed above water. Or not all of those submerged die. They are an invasive species so they know how to be a problem. Frickin' snails