Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Advice from the LFS (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/advice-lfs-37867/)

PaperclipGirl 02-23-2010 07:30 PM

Advice from the LFS

Okay, as I had to travel into the "Big City" for business today, I decided to take a detour by the LFS..

I got to talking with one of the employees there as I was looking at the cichlid tank (which is pronounced Sick-lidd not the funky way I said it: chick-lid)

Anywho - he was telling me that because I wasn't breeding fish - that I was changing my water too often and the less that I changed it the lower the pH would get... WHAT??? He suggested a 20% wc every 6 weeks on a 55g tank...

Is this really true?

I can't imagine my little fishies swimming in their own gunk for 6 weeks...

La Reina 02-23-2010 07:36 PM

Scared.... very scared...

I change 24% of mine every Sunday while I clean the gravel... I left it for two weeks once, BIG MISTAKE. (just a dirty tank... I'm not sure if it negatively affected the fish.)

If there was a fish bible, it would say "Thou shalt change water." And I do, and I think it's a good idea if you do too.

Mean Harri 02-23-2010 07:44 PM

When I started in with aquariums the recommended wc was 10-15% every 2 weeks or 30% once a month. Something like that.

Austin 02-23-2010 07:50 PM

Eh, it depends how many fish live in there... if you had one guppy in a 55g tank you probably would rarely need to change it. A normal tank needs that much about every week I'd say.

mollies 02-23-2010 07:52 PM

I do water 20% water changes Once a week. My PH is at 8.2 And it never drops after a water change. Or for 2 weeks when i left them for vacation. So you could listen to the LFS or you could get a PH test kit and check your water befor and after. Or read what many of us here do and around the world do.
On acounts to the Cichlids do you have cichlids?

redchigh 02-23-2010 07:54 PM

Well I think it makes sense that changing less often would lower the PH...

As far as Water changes, I'm not sure. I've heard every opinion, from once every 6 weeks to never. (in a heavily planted tank, that is. Wouldn't apply to tank that wasn't planted.)

Personally, I'd say test the water, and when the nitrates start to appear, change it.
As far as the fishies swimming in their own gunk, it's not really "gunk" after the bacteria get done with it.

I could be wrong, but the main reason anyone changes the water is to get rid of nitrates. Everything else is broken down into other, somewhat useful or inert substances.

JohnnyD44 02-23-2010 07:56 PM

thats why LFS can be deadly haha

I change 25% of my water weekly during my gravel vaccuuming....

PaperclipGirl 02-23-2010 08:26 PM

well reading on here I sure learned a lot.... wish I had started reading on here before I bought my first fish tank!!

There are two things I know for sure - 1) never by fish from a store that startes with W, and 2) never trust your LFS

molliefan09 02-23-2010 08:50 PM

all me tanks get a pwc of 15-25% weekly.my oscat tank gets dne 2 x weekly

1077 02-24-2010 04:14 AM

Most books on care of Tropical fishes, will recommend weekly water change. Would trust published books much more quickly than opinions of nearly all others. Books are normally edited for accuracy and content before publishing.
In my view,frequency and volume of Water changes depends on many factors.Safe play is to change at least 25 percent once a week. IMHO