Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New member, New tank... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-member-new-tank-37849/)

libby01 02-23-2010 02:54 PM

New member, New tank...

I have always owned fish...when i was little i remember haveing two huge tanks one had a huge catfish with one eye in it called popeye...he was in there with some red tailed sharks and some sort of fish that was orange and black striped...and what i called sucker fish at the bottom to clean stuff... This tank was my amazement and i loved watching them..

The other tank was pretty and bright with neons, guppies, mollies, and some other bright fish...but was infested with snails...

i was not old enough to look after them poperly and the parents decided to give them away...since then i have had normal goldfish...i have two at the moment in my bedroom...

I have always wanted tropical fish again and have been given the all clear to get some of my own...

I have a glass tank that is 24 inches wide, 12 inches deep and 15 inches high...i have been told it holds 60 lires of water...

I know most of the basic care like gravel, plants, air stones, pumps, filters, heaters ect i just dont know about the types of fish...

I like Neon tetras, guppies, mollies that sort of thing...how many of each could i fit in a tank my size and what other fish are pretty and would go well with these fish?

Thanks

findingjohn 02-23-2010 04:40 PM

Guppies have alot of new borns before you know it. So you will have to catch the fry before they get eaten up by every one else. Keep the same size fish togather if you can. This way no one should eat the other. Make sure they all get along with each other.

Pasfur 02-23-2010 06:11 PM

In a tank of this size I would recommend keeping only 2 different types of fish, each in a small group. A great option for a beginner are Tetras. A group of 5 Neons and 3 Pristella Tetras would look very nice. You could also add 2 Cory Cats to this mix. I am sure many people will respond with some options for you.

libby01 02-23-2010 07:30 PM

ok thanks for the information, how big do cory cats grow? what is the best type of food to feed Neons like flaked, or pellets ect? Is there anything else i could feed them to keep them healthy and stuff that they will like to eat? i remember in the old tanks we used to give them blood worms i think...they were frozen in an ice cube and every so often he would drop one cube in and the ice would melt leaving the worms... are these good?

1077 02-24-2010 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by libby01 (Post 330896)
I have always owned fish...when i was little i remember haveing two huge tanks one had a huge catfish with one eye in it called popeye...he was in there with some red tailed sharks and some sort of fish that was orange and black striped...and what i called sucker fish at the bottom to clean stuff... This tank was my amazement and i loved watching them..

The other tank was pretty and bright with neons, guppies, mollies, and some other bright fish...but was infested with snails...

i was not old enough to look after them poperly and the parents decided to give them away...since then i have had normal goldfish...i have two at the moment in my bedroom...

I have always wanted tropical fish again and have been given the all clear to get some of my own...

I have a glass tank that is 24 inches wide, 12 inches deep and 15 inches high...i have been told it holds 60 lires of water...

I know most of the basic care like gravel, plants, air stones, pumps, filters, heaters ect i just dont know about the types of fish...

I like Neon tetras, guppies, mollies that sort of thing...how many of each could i fit in a tank my size and what other fish are pretty and would go well with these fish?

Thanks

Are you familiar with the term, (cycling ) a new aquarium? If not, I would read up on the process before introducing fishes to a newly set up tank.A valuable tool will be a quality test kit that uses drops of liquid rather than strips of paper. API Freshwater Master Kit Is a reliable and fairly accurate test kit that is used by many. Plenty of folks here to help you along.;-)

libby01 02-24-2010 07:21 AM

yer i have had tropical fish before...the tank is empty at the moment but im hopng to get the water in it and start the cycling soon....its a bit complicated at the moment...Im a budgerigar breederand the birds live outside but with all the snow we have had they had to come inside to rear the chicks...when the weather warms up the birds are going back outside and then where the birds were the fish tank is going there... it is on wheels so quite movable... the last chick leaves the nest on the 23rd of march anyway and depending on the whether depends on if they go out...i doubt it will be untill april anyway so i will get the fish then...

I have heard about this cycling and it was dont on the old tanks but not by me....i have never done it for my goldfish could someone explain it to me in the simpliest way possible... thanks

1077 02-24-2010 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by libby01 (Post 331417)
yer i have had tropical fish before...the tank is empty at the moment but im hopng to get the water in it and start the cycling soon....its a bit complicated at the moment...Im a budgerigar breederand the birds live outside but with all the snow we have had they had to come inside to rear the chicks...when the weather warms up the birds are going back outside and then where the birds were the fish tank is going there... it is on wheels so quite movable... the last chick leaves the nest on the 23rd of march anyway and depending on the whether depends on if they go out...i doubt it will be untill april anyway so i will get the fish then...

I have heard about this cycling and it was dont on the old tanks but not by me....i have never done it for my goldfish could someone explain it to me in the simpliest way possible... thanks

Go to Freshwater aquarium section of the home page here. Then click on it. Then click on .."Important Topics" There you will find very good info on (cycling) a new aqaurium.

libby01 02-24-2010 04:20 PM

ok thanks i will take a look...