Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   newbie tank setup (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/newbie-tank-setup-37828/)

JesseG 02-23-2010 07:29 AM

newbie tank setup

1 Attachment(s)
hi,

i've just built a 60 gallon tank, my current setup is a work in progress, current live stock is as follows :

1xgold severum
4xbala shark
2xtinfoil shark

I want to add in live plants, any suggestions on which plants to add that won't get eaten....thanks for your help guys!!!!!

Angel079 02-23-2010 08:40 AM

With the stock you got I would go for any harder plant that roots down VERY well and or plants you can attach yourself to rock / driftwood.
I'd prop try Hygophilia and Anubias in that tank.

JesseG 02-23-2010 12:55 PM

Hi Angel079,
Thanks for the suggestion, the Anubias will look absolutely heavenly in my aquarium, still deciding on the Hygophilia...Any other suggetsions on making my tank look stunning? i love the current rock setup at the moment, so i'm not planning on interferring with that....thanks for the suggestions Angel079

aunt kymmie 02-23-2010 01:14 PM

When you say tinfoil shark do you mean tinfoil barbs? I know they love to eat most plants...

JesseG 02-23-2010 01:20 PM

Hi Kymmie,

i'm not too certain, the LFS says its a tinfoil shark but from the research i've done on these guys, they seem to be tinfoil barbs, red tipped fins and a black blotch on the dorsal fin...i requested sharks as i wanted it to be a shark tank primarily...do you think these guys along with the bala sharks would eat the Anubias and Hygophilia?

aunt kymmie 02-23-2010 01:43 PM

It sounds like you have red-tail tinfoil barbs. They will eat most plants other than anubias, java fern, java moss, and hornwort. They grow quite large, as do your balas, so I'm not sure how long they will all be able to call your 60gl home. Just a heads up so you're prepared.

JesseG 02-23-2010 02:26 PM

yes,i know how large the tinfoil and bala sharks get, but that should take a year or two,right? At the moment the tinfoils are around 2-3 inches and the bala sharks are around 1-2 inches..i will build a 150-200gallon tank...

Sinopa 02-25-2010 12:53 AM

The tank will look beautiful once you get some plants
Might I suggest some type of moss to attach to the rocks? I know little of planted tanks, so I couldn't suggest one

JesseG 02-25-2010 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinopa (Post 332000)
The tank will look beautiful once you get some plants
Might I suggest some type of moss to attach to the rocks? I know little of planted tanks, so I couldn't suggest one

Hi Sinopa,

Thank you for commenting on my tank, i was thinking of covering the sand with java moss and having the rocks on top it, and then in the right corner putting some java fern, also with anubias scattered around the tank and rocks, also thought of looking for a small tree to put in the left corner...what are your thoughts?:-D

Sinopa 02-25-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseG (Post 332033)
Hi Sinopa,

Thank you for commenting on my tank, i was thinking of covering the sand with java moss and having the rocks on top it, and then in the right corner putting some java fern, also with anubias scattered around the tank and rocks, also thought of looking for a small tree to put in the left corner...what are your thoughts?:-D

I think that would look so cool! I've seen anubias and java fern listed as good plants for beginners, plus they're very pretty! I've actually been looking into getting anubias for my tank, and have been lookign for java moss at LFS with no success.

And what do you mean by tree? Do you mean drift wood?

There is a lot of empty space in the back of your tank since its so tall, why don't you try making a moss wall? There's a lot of "how-to" guides online, I found this while looking for ideal moss for a moss wall: Best Moss for a Moss wall - Aquaria Central The picture at the bottom looks interesting