Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Angelfish Tank Size (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/angelfish-tank-size-378202/)

Flint 04-07-2014 05:04 PM

Angelfish Tank Size

I was thinking about setting up my 20H. I was just curious if this is an adequate tank size for a single angel (among small tankmates) but the angels size vs tank size has me concerned. I read a lot of conflicting information online and would like someone with firsthand angel experience to chime in. (: I just don't want to cram an angel in a tank that isn't big enough.

Thank you!
Flint

Tolak 04-07-2014 05:40 PM

A standard fin angel with minimal substrate should be fine. I've kept standard pairs in that size tank without an issue, veils with longer fins would be better served by a 29, due to the increased water depth.

Agent13 04-07-2014 07:01 PM

For a visual of size look at the palm of your hand and that's about the size of an angelfish body.. Then your fingers account for their fins ... Give or take. I'd use a 20h as a grow out tank .. But I think eventually you'd want a bigger tank . However it'll work. Not sure what other fish would fit in there. I'm sure there's something .

Sent from Petguide.com App

angelcraze 04-07-2014 08:07 PM

I have kept a single adult angel in a 27g hex (24") high and not very wide, 20" I think and it was fine. Twice I have done this. The one time he was alone, but that's because I was quarantining the little piggy and had to fee him veg for a few months. Some staff at the LFS thought he had a tumor, he ate all my white worms in one gulp and his belly bloated like a balloon. I is fine now and is the alfa in his 120g tank to date. But the last time, I kept a female for a while in there with 5 small panda cories, and I feel she was happy. I eventually got myself the 120g, (to add more) but I think it's doable for one specimen for now, mayeb some lower strate fish as tankmates would be best. Just my two cents.

Tolak 04-07-2014 09:00 PM

I quared a $200 pair in a 15h some time back. They must have liked it in there, spawned in quar. It's one of the more visible tanks in my fishroom, easy to keep an eye on when doing other things in there.

Agent13 04-07-2014 09:19 PM

I quar many a happy fish in 10s and 20Hs. Never had a fish complain about the QT tank .. But that's only 1month of their stay with me for all fish .

Sent from Petguide.com App

AquaJay 04-07-2014 10:04 PM

I've kept all of my breeding Angels in 20L tanks if they were just standard veil. I've had to keep a pair of super veil breeders in a 29 because their fins top to bottom reached 13". My advice would be depending on the type of Angel ya got.

Tolak 04-07-2014 10:39 PM

Boy that pair was happy as could be in that 15, maybe they appreciated the closeness. ;-)

I switched out my production pair tanks to 29's some years ago, use the 20's for growing out spawns when selling, & working on pairs when selling is slow during the summer. Back when tanks had metal frames & were relatively more expensive pairs were often kept in 10 gallon tanks long term. Talk about living a life of water changes.

angelcraze 04-08-2014 11:50 AM

Old Rule Of Thumb--One angel per 10 gallons.
--18" tank height minimum

Angelfish are not particularly fast moving fish, or imo, they don't need a lot of horizontal swimming space unless they are spawning and guarding their free-swimmers!!! I have seen too many times, at the LFS, angelfish whose fins (particularly dorsal and pelvic) have been stunted or where they have flopped because they were raised in aquaria that was just too shallow and/or crammed in.

When selecting your angel, pls just keep in mind the vertical height of his/her fins, as mentioned above, different strains will require appropriate space. If he/she will be sharing the tank with other fish, as per my advice, try to keep the tankmate very peaceful (not nippy), not too zippy as to stress your angel, middle strata (preferably bottom)

That's just my advice after keeping many angels for 7 years in many tanks. Good luck with your angelfish, they are wonderful to keep, a beautiful fish, I am sure you will not regret it.

angelcraze 04-08-2014 11:59 AM

Actually, which small tankmate did you have in mind?