Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   First Time, Looking for Help and Suggestions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/first-time-looking-help-suggestions-37800/)

Corona 02-22-2010 07:42 PM

First Time, Looking for Help and Suggestions

Hello there, I've been lurking on this website because I always enjoy watching fish, but i've never actually owned any myself. I'd like to try to keep a relatively small tank in my bedroom, as I feel it would be a welcome addition to my home. After snooping around on the website and other places, I've gotten a general idea of what I'd like to accomplish.

First of all, I'm leaning towards an aquarium size of 5 gallons. Any more than that and it's bound to get out of my price range. Hopefully in the future when my funds are greater I might be able to do something larger.

Second of all, I'd like to try a planted tank. They seemed scary at first, but hopefully I can figure this out. I enjoy the look of natural plants so much more than plastic, so any prods in the right direction are appreciated.

And, thirdly, the fish. Possibly the most important part? I'm not sure how many I could fit in a 5 gallon tank, frankly. I've heard something like one inch of fish is equal to one gallon, but i'm not sure on the validity of that statetment. I did see a Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami that was beautiful, but i'm not sure how well one would do with other fish.

If you are able, all nods towards guides to read, fishtanks and hardware to buy, plant selection, and fish stocking are wonderful. I appreciate whatever you can contribute, hopefully I'll be able to get on my feet in the way of freshwater aquariums.

aunt kymmie 02-22-2010 08:01 PM

Welcome to the forum, Corona. There are a number of options for a 5gl but my personal favorite would be a planted betta tank. I keep a lil 6gl planted that my betta calls home and it's one of my favorite tanks. (Especially come water change time, lol). You could also keep a handful of neons and some cherry shrimp. Pair that with black substrate and plants and it would be a stunning little tank. There are other options but I'll let everyone else weigh in. Once again, welcome!

Corona 02-22-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 330485)
Welcome to the forum, Corona. There are a number of options for a 5gl but my personal favorite would be a planted betta tank. I keep a lil 6gl planted that my betta calls home and it's one of my favorite tanks. (Especially come water change time, lol). You could also keep a handful of neons and some cherry shrimp. Pair that with black substrate and plants and it would be a stunning little tank. There are other options but I'll let everyone else weigh in. Once again, welcome!

The shrimp do sound like a lovely idea. I just looked up a picture of the cherry shrimp and they are quite nice looking. What do you mean by neons? Also, where does one find black substrate? As well, what plants would you reccommend for a tank with the shrimp and "neons"?

I do apologize for all the questions, trying to absorb all I can.

( The betta sounds nice as well, they're so pretty, but i'm not sure if I could do just one fish. Call me selfish, but I want a couple more to look at. No offense meant to all you betta owners, they really are beautiful. )

crazy4fish 02-22-2010 08:36 PM

neons are neon tetras. they are small little fish with a red stripe and a blue stripe, very pretty =) they are schooling fish so they would stick together. you can look up their picture on the internet and see if you would be interested in them. i personally love them. and you can buy black gravel or sand at most fishstores. but make sure if you get gravel, that you get gravel pieces the right size for plants. (you want the pieces of gravel to be on the smaller size for plant roots)

crazy4fish 02-22-2010 08:40 PM

oh and i forgot to say, in the plant section of the forum there is a sticky that has links to other pages abt plants and one contains a list of plants tht fit in small tanks. you might want to look that list over. if i can find it i will post it in this thread for you =)

Corona 02-22-2010 08:43 PM

Thank you, crazy4fish! These neon tetras are quite nice looking, perhaps I will look into them. I know I should read through the stickies, but can plants thrive in sand? Sand seems to be more athestically pleasing to me, it just seems a bit more natural.

Also, does anyone have any care tips for cherry shrimp?

crazy4fish 02-22-2010 08:51 PM

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...rmations-1742/

okay well here is the thread with a lot of links to information abt plants. if you click on the one titled "plants for a 20gallon long or smaller" there is a list of plants that will work for you =)

and im not an expert about sand (i've never used it but want to) but i read in one of the stickies that it can sometimes compact too much and not let the roots of plants "breathe" enough. but i have seen a few tanks that hav live plants with sand so you might want to get a second opinion from another member on that topic.

aunt kymmie 02-22-2010 10:23 PM

All my tanks have sand, all my tanks are planted. :-)

iamntbatman 02-23-2010 04:55 AM

Neons look fantastic with a black substrate and plants. Their colors really pop.

Shrimp are pretty easy to care for. Generally they need slightly hard water (which shouldn't be an issue for most tank-raised neons) and they don't take kindly to poor water quality so I wouldn't add them until the tank is well-established.

Other ideas for a tank in that size range: Endler's livebearers, galaxy rasboras (or any of the dwarf rasboras really, it's just that galaxy rasboras are GORGEOUS fish), some of the smaller killifish, a dwarf puffer or two, a pair of dwarf shelldwellers or something like a pair of scarlet badis. None of these fish are particularly hard to care for but they might be a little difficult tracking down.

Angel079 02-23-2010 08:46 AM

A few thoughts/ ideas from my end:
Bare in mind that the smaller the tank is the less forgiving it is on anything that can happen in a tank; in other words a small tank is much harder to keep stable then a large tank. Consider buying used to safe yourself the $ for a larger tank!?

For fish I'd strongly recommend to test your tap water with a liquid test kit (which you'll need later on when cycling the tank anyway) and see what your pH & KH is and buy yourself some fish that will thrive within that water.

If you rather would have shrimp instead of fish; I had added a general guide for shrimp set ups here http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...keeping-37012/

Plants will be a great add on no matter if you house fish or shrimp and will be real beneficial to your fish. Check out my planted tanks under my name Angel here to the left under the tap called 'Aquarium' that'll give you a few plant ideas as well.