Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   How aquarium lights changed my house (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/how-aquarium-lights-changed-my-house-37789/)

Angel079 02-22-2010 05:59 PM

How aquarium lights changed my house

For the longest time I wasn't too thrilled the way some rooms look on gray rain days....So today while at the home store for my fishes (needed large plexi glass) I also looked to see what they got there on sale for the bulbs for my small tanks.

So I winded up buying the twisted CFLs from GE one 6-pack of Sunlights and one 6-pack Daylight....

Brothers & Sisters I can tell you I am glad I did my Kitchen with a full stock of Dayligths (6500K) now ALLL the way around looks AMAZING and I'm sure my house plants on the counter appreciate that too. And the livingrm is awesome with the sunlights its soft but yet superst bright!

And best of all they're all energy safer so its even good for the power bill on top.

So next time your house bulbs need replacing consider using what your fish use; it looks great I'm loving it :-D

Now I have about 20 normal big light bulbs that are needing a good new home cause I don't wanna use these any more now ever again :lol:

Dono 02-22-2010 11:23 PM

you know the CFL(compact florescent lightbulbs) are great power savers. i have replaced all but one of my light bulbs with cfls, the bad thing is if they break they are hazardous! they contain mercury and a bunch of other methel ethel bad stuff.

So you gotta ask yourself if the energy savings out weigh the toxic crap inside the bulbs that you may be exposed to?

Angel079 02-23-2010 09:56 AM

I hear ya; but you know for one I generally don't go busting my lights in my ceilings so I feel safe there; second I'm the kinda generation that grew up with led based paints and asbestos in school houses....So really if it ain't one thing its another.

I love the look of my house, meanwhile do something great for the environment as well and on top I have spare fish tank bulbs in the house now too :-)

LisaC144 02-23-2010 10:47 AM

AWESOME! Glad you're happy with the change. As our light bulbs burn out, we replace them with the CFL's too. Our basement has 6 sconces, and all have CFL bulbs in them. The month we changed them to CFL's, our electric bill dropped $18.....that was just the basement bulbs!

JohnnyD44 02-23-2010 11:12 AM

+1 for CFL, when we just built our place, we went all CFLs

Angel079 02-23-2010 11:28 AM

Well initially when we got the house I left the lights as they were; thou some of the colors looked a lil 'odd' to me being summer time & sunny it wasn't bad but as winter rolled around and we see more gray then sunny days spc my kitchen drove me nuts; I have all white cabinets and it looked like my kitchen was smoked on when it wasn't - So changing all these lights REALLY made a dramatic difference.

How much it'll really change on the power bill I donno and frankly don't care too much but I sure as heck love the look int he kitchen & livingrm. I just need some more daylights for my office now, spc when handling all the cards & poster designs etc it'll help me having better light in here as well (as the coloration will be affected by it).

So yea anyone willing to try a new look in their house go for what we use in our fish tanks :-)

Mean Harri 02-23-2010 07:43 PM

Polluters... All ya'll with all that mercury from those lights. And mercury does what? Oh wait, gets in fish.
I'm going to buy all kinds of incandescent bulbs while I can and before Al Gore, the big lie creating bore, succeeds in ruining the world with mercury. Shame for shame :)

Angel079 02-23-2010 08:19 PM

:lol: really guys I only wanted the house color's to look as good as my tanks do....didn't know with sharing that I'd start a chain reaction on politics and how to safe the plant...

Mean Harri 02-23-2010 09:27 PM

Yes you did. You're a closet instigator lol ;)

JohnnyD44 02-23-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Harri (Post 331183)
Yes you did. You're a closet instigator lol ;)

agreed ;-) hahaha

if this turns in to political forum....I'M OUT!! haha