Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Assassin Snail Question.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/assassin-snail-question-37733/)

Angel777 02-21-2010 07:41 PM

Assassin Snail Question....

Okay, I don't know anything about Assassin Snails and I just bought two off of aquabid. Well, it appears that one has died I guess and I can't find the other one in my tank. I received them 3 days ago and slowly acclimated them to my tank by placing them in a bowl and pouring a little bit of my tank water into the bowl every 15 minutes for a couple of hours. I put them in the tank and off they went tracking down the pesky snails in my tank. This morning I was looking in my tank and one of the Assassin Snails hasn't come out of its shell all day. It's just laying there and not moving..... I am assuming it is dead :-?

My water parameters are fine and I have no idea why it would have died just like that. Should I have done something different? I was so excited about getting these snails in hopes that they would help control all these other snails in my tank and now it looks like it was a waste of my money.

How long are these Assassin Snails supposed to live anyway?

molliefan09 02-21-2010 09:08 PM

if the snail died you will know...not only will they stink beyond all belief...but if you pick them up and look the "trap door" will be gone...i have 2 snails in my tank and i will not see them for days...

Angel777 02-21-2010 11:29 PM

Hmmmm... My tank doesn't smell. I already said this but I don't know anything about snails and I really don't like to pick them up whatsoever. What does the "Trap Door" look like? :oops: Is it white in color?

I do see one of the Assassin Snails laying on top of my substrate right in the front of the tank but like I said it hasn't come out of its shell all day and hasn't moved so that is why I think it may be dead. After they eat the other snails do they stay in their shell for an extended period of time?

eileen 02-22-2010 12:00 AM

I find that Assassin snails like to bury them self's in the gravel or sand. I have about 14 in my 55 gal. and I only see maybe 3 at any given time. I do see alot of empty snail shells of my pest snails so they are in their doing their job. I was wondering how they packed the snails when you got them shipped. Did they put a heat pack? Were they in breather bags or reg. fish bags? Maybe that post I put about the assassin snails that expert guy can help you out. You will have to join that forum to ask questions but it is free. He gets back to you in about 1 day or before.

Angel777 02-22-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eileen (Post 330065)
I was wondering how they packed the snails when you got them shipped. Did they put a heat pack? Were they in breather bags or reg. fish bags? Maybe that post I put about the assassin snails that expert guy can help you out. You will have to join that forum to ask questions but it is free. He gets back to you in about 1 day or before.

Thank You Eileen,
The snails were packed in fish bags with water and also with a heat pack. They were alive and well when they arrived and went right to work in my tank as soon as I put them in. I'll have to ask the assassin snail expert a few questions.

Thanks for giving me that information.

Angel777 02-22-2010 12:55 PM

My Assassin Snail is fine :-D It is alive and crawling around on the other side of the tank. Guess I overreacted just a little bit. Still don't know where the other one is but not gonna worry about it. I'm sure it's fine too.

eileen 02-26-2010 12:24 PM

I've noticed that the Assassin snails tend to like being buried in the sand or gravel. I have about 12 or more in my 55 gal. tank and don't notice them much. I only notice part of the brown/striped shell half way buried. I see them come out when I feed them or they are looking for food. If you have MTS they are in the gravel or sand and I think that's where they are looking for the bigger MTS snail which is a good thing if you are like me and overrun by them in your tanks. They do perfer the eaiser snails like Ramshorn or pond snails over the MTS snails but they will go after them if that is the only meaty meal they get besides protien foods. I'm glad that you found your Assassin alright. They are so pretty but yet so deadly to other snails. I find them to be so interesting to have in a aquarium.