Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   i need ur halp with snail stuff.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/i-need-ur-halp-snail-stuff-37725/)

biokid101 02-21-2010 05:13 PM

i need ur halp with snail stuff..

i have a 5 gallon tank and its occupied by 5 adult guppies and about 25 fry. i want some snails for the tank cause they look cool and can help clean(i hope). i wanna find out as much as i can about snails...so i was wondering if u can tell me about them..or suggested ones for my tank...and i want some that can breed

Austin 02-21-2010 09:38 PM

You could try some apple (mystery) snails. :] They are pretty looking snails and are easy to find. I'm sure there's other nice looking snails u can find but these are the only ones I know of. They aren't asexual but they can breed if you have a couple.

biokid101 02-22-2010 05:32 PM

arnt they the ones that can store sperm for a while?

McNertney 02-22-2010 05:41 PM

Yes they can. buy 3 or 4 apple snails from the store. if you turn the heat up in your tank to about 75- 80 and drain 1 inch of water from the top of your aquarium and leave it. The snails will breed. you will have egg sacks with up to 3 or 4 hundred babies a piece. just make sure they dont dry out and they hatch in a few weeks. Prepair for an overload of snails. i did this to my tank and they compete for food. they starve any older snails to death and plecos will not grow at all. i take them out and add them to my other tanks. you will eventually be throwing them out by the handful. hope that helps

biokid101 02-23-2010 05:45 PM

thank u very much and what do u mean by dont let them run dry?

McNertney 02-23-2010 07:15 PM

When you drain the water an inch, the snails will climb up out of the water to lay their egg sacks. most of the time they are right above the waterline but others are high up.. even on the top of your lid. when you're waiting for the eggs to hatch you have to remember that water evaporates faster when you have that 1 inch layer. you have to fill the water back a little to maintain that 1 inch to keep it moist. My first experience i let the water get lower than the first inch and the upper eggs dried out. once they dry out they die and look nasty. they fall in the tank and take forever to decompose and no fish really eat them. snails are always good about making more babies. oh and i recommend the yellow snails. i had a black one and it mated with the yellow ones and made all the offspring brown. yellow ones are cooler cause they have these orange spots on their skin. hope this helps, good luck

biokid101 02-23-2010 08:27 PM

thank u very much it helped alot..so its like trying to keep the eggs moist?

the yellow snails are really called yellow snails or is that the color?

Mean Harri 02-23-2010 09:02 PM

Nerite snails are arguably the best algae eating snails out there. they will lay eggs but they can not hatch. The must be in salt water to hatch so they won't reproduce in a fresh water tank. Another great algae eating snail is the Ramshorn snail. Both are great general tank cleaners and fantastic algae eaters. Malaysian trumpet snails are the kind that come with live plants. they too are good tank cleaners and reproduce. The key to avoiding a huge snail explosion is controlling your fish feeding. Over feeding leads to snail population explosions.

biokid101 02-24-2010 03:48 PM

ok thank u got any pics?

McNertney 02-27-2010 04:46 PM

I have a few in my profile you can check out