Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Bristlenose Pleco Disappeared!? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/bristlenose-pleco-disappeared-37651/)

Kelso 02-20-2010 03:20 PM

Bristlenose Pleco Disappeared!?

I bought a bristlenose pleco for my 75 on Thursday. Today is Saturday and s/he is gone! S/he was a little over an inch...but I scoured the whole tank, and s/he's nowhere! Do they burrow? I'm kind of really sad...I've been wanting one for so long, and I get one and it's all but disappeared!

Pep 02-20-2010 05:18 PM

I bought 2 new ones last night for my 90g. They don't burrow but boy are they ever good at hide and seek. It is amazing what they can hang from the bottom of and mine seem to blend into anything darker. I wouldn't be surprised if yours is not just hiding

Kelso 02-20-2010 06:06 PM

I did find him! He was in my filter! He climbed up the output and was chilling in the chamber.

aunt kymmie 02-20-2010 06:36 PM

Kelso, I'm glad you found him! The reason I bought an albino versus the standard was for the very reason that I thought I'd never see him. It's hard to hide when you're albino against a dark substrate/dark wood. I remember when my guy was an itty bitter. They are sooooo cute when they are that little.

Kelso 02-20-2010 07:03 PM

I love his little size! Actually, I got the regularly colored reason for the same reason you did, except my sand and wall are very light colored, so it makes it easier for me to see him that way...but then again, if he's noit in the tank, you won't be seeing him period!

Angel079 02-20-2010 09:02 PM

Scary scary.....that's why I say always cover everything some of them critters get SO CREATIVE it ain't even funny! Glad this had a happy end thou

LisaC144 02-21-2010 10:53 AM

Aunt Kymmie, where did you find an albino BN? I've never seen them at any of my LFS.

aunt kymmie 02-21-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaC144 (Post 329632)
Aunt Kymmie, where did you find an albino BN? I've never seen them at any of my LFS.

I purchased him at my LFS. They are pretty common, at least I think they are, as all three LFS in my area carry them. I remember adding him to the tank and he was not even an inch. My loaches at that time were 5" and I was afraid for the little guy. As it turns out there was no reason to worry, they are tough little guys.

LisaC144 02-21-2010 11:46 AM

It's ashame I don't live in CA! I'll maybe have to look again but I have never seen them here. I only have 1 good LFS. There is another one (PetLand) who actually has very nice, clean tanks but their fish selection is very small. The only other Fish places in my area is Petco and PetSmart and I never even go to their fish section because it just makes me extrmely sad. You know what, I think I'll do a Google search to see if I can find another LFS to check out.

UPDATE: Found another LFS about 15 minutes from me, family owned. Gonna go check it out today :-D

Kelso 02-21-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 329405)
Scary scary.....that's why I say always cover everything some of them critters get SO CREATIVE it ain't even funny! Glad this had a happy end thou

The funny part is my output is covered! I have panty hose wrapped around it to diffuse the flow!