Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Question about Prime with Meds/ Ferts (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/question-about-prime-meds-ferts-37645/)

Angel079 02-20-2010 10:33 AM

Question about Prime with Meds/ Ferts

After I switched to Prime after yrs using AquaSafe I learned that Prime detoxifies liquid ferts as well. Since that only concerns 1 of my tanks I now started adding liquid ferts there 1-2 days after the w/c.

Now the big question to me is if that's what its doing to ferts then does it also detoxify med's? I'm currently treating the 45g for ich but am needing to do my weekly w/c today or tomorrow but I'm worried using Prime the meds won't work now???

Anyone any ideas?
(And yes I will switch back to my old conditioner once this bottle is used up).

Angel079 02-20-2010 05:16 PM

:| I really start getting the feeling I should not ask questions here and only answer posts....

aunt kymmie 02-20-2010 05:28 PM

No, that's a good question and I really want to hear the answer as far as Prime nuetralizing ferts. I'd never heard (or read) that before. I can vouch for Prime NOT detoxifying meds as I had to medicate my tank way back when I had a very stubborn case of ich that wasn't responding to the heat/salt method. I say with nearly 100% certainty that Prime does not effect medications. So, does Prime detoxify ferts? Can you give me the link where I can find that info??

Mean Harri 02-20-2010 06:12 PM

Prime neutralizes metals in the water. So a copper based medication is probably sure to be neutralized. Other meds I can't say. But I'm a googling mud duck. I can look to see what I find.

Mean Harri 02-20-2010 06:27 PM

I can't find much on Prime neutralizing fertz or meds. I saw a person say Tetra customer service recommending to wait 24 hrs after using the Tetra cond product before fert'ing.

Prime binds heavy metals. I doubt meds have heavy metals. Copper based it might affect. In which case you make your change water ahead of time and wait 24 hrs. I don't know kiddo.

Angel079 02-20-2010 07:26 PM

*Digging for the ich meds box here to find ingredients*
Mine here sure is STUBBORN as can be that 1 Emporer Tetra just does NOT want to stop having dots and its been how long now since that tank started...urg!

Your comprehensive liquid ferts like Copper, Zinc, Iron that stuff would get "attacked" by the Prime the first 24hrs when its added. I do not have the link any more (or can't find it any more) but you're better up waiting 24hrs before adding the ferts after a w/c. I wanna say it was Byron that also stated the same about using Prime (It was one our plant freaks here anyway; was discussed here before maybe I can find the thread somewhere).

aunt kymmie 02-20-2010 09:55 PM

I hesitate to ditch the Prime. I don't notice that my plants are suffering from any sort of deficency. I'm going to have to go with "if it ain't broke"...hopefully Eric will get something dug up on the web that can convince me of the link between Prime and fertz. I do know that Prime does not effect Rid Ich+.

Mean Harri 02-20-2010 10:15 PM

Worse case scenario when it comes to Prime and ferts is to wait a day after using Prime before fertilizing. It's not going to hurt the plants. In fact water changes will benefit the plants. They'll be ok.

As for Prime doing anything to meds; I can't find anything on it. Perplexing topic you have here Natalie.

aunt kymmie 02-20-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Harri (Post 329460)
Worse case scenario when it comes to Prime and ferts is to wait a day after using Prime before fertilizing. It's not going to hurt the plants. In fact water changes will benefit the plants. They'll be ok.

As for Prime doing anything to meds; I can't find anything on it. Perplexing topic you have here Natalie.

I'd be interested to hear Byron weigh in on this subject.

PS. Eric, your new siggy, LOL

Mean Harri 02-20-2010 10:24 PM

I just read that Pimafix and Melafix can be used with water conditioning products with no ill effects. Those two products won't be affected by Prime at least.
Kordons Ich-Attack can be used with Kordon Novaqua Plus. http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...0&pcatid=12100
So maybe Prime won't affect meds but I can't say for sure.

lol Kymmie