Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   My tanks seals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-tanks-seals-37635/)

Greedy 02-20-2010 04:46 AM

My tanks seals

Hello everyone I am new to the forums, I recently found a lady giving away a couple of 25 gallon eclipse aquariums (im guessing they are from 1999 because the inspector tag is still on it and it says 01/99) I cleaned them out and was looking at the rubber seal going around the bottom of the tank and I started to notice that there were bubbles in the seal of the aquarium... And the seal on the corners were dis colored like they were bleeched (they were sitting on her driveway for who knows how long) but i was wondering if anyone has seen anything like this? and if you guys think i should replace the seal? I have filled up the aquarium in the tub and left if over night and it doesnt leak, but I dont know if one of those bubbles is gonna pop and start leaking all over my living room... any suggestions are appreciated. thank you:-)

Twistersmom 02-20-2010 08:09 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Do the bubbles appear to be trapped air in the glue, from when the aquarium was originally sealed?
If the aquariums where able to hold water overnight without leaking, I would not be afraid to use them.

Greedy 02-20-2010 04:23 PM

Thanks, ya the bubbles look like they are under the original seal, a few of them going across. but ya I had it in the tub for a day then ive had it in my living room since yesterday but just looking at is is making me nervous.. I guess we will see lol, thank you.

Mean Harri 02-21-2010 12:24 AM

My 55g I bought new about 2 months ago and you can see small bubbles in the silicone seal. It's not been a problem.

Greedy 02-21-2010 12:42 AM

its more of raised bubbles like poking out

Twistersmom 02-21-2010 07:57 AM

Have you set the tank up yet? If you could post some pictures of these bubbles, maybe it would help.

I resealed, one 20 gal tank. A garage sale find. It was leaking when I did my test fill. It was an easy job. If it will help you sleep better at night, go ahead and reseal.

Hawkian 02-21-2010 08:31 AM

I would personally fill up the tank(s) with water in an area where water leaks wouldn't be a problem and see what happens over the course of a few days. No leaks... then you're good to go. Nothing like a test-run before the race!

Greedy 02-22-2010 04:10 AM

I set it up and it was good no leaks, so i added black sand and that clouded up my water and stuck to the impossible to get off white scum on the tank and made my glass even more opaque... So i drained my tank and took out the sand and i had noticed some of the bubbles had been popped maybe from the sand idk.. long story short i think the tank glass is too dirty to invest any more of my time in it...It doesnt leak and i would actually like to reseal it but i cant get the glass clean... its covered in a white cloud CLR cant even get off.. atleast i got a free stand.

iamntbatman 02-22-2010 04:57 AM

Yikes, I wouldn't have used something like CLR on a fish tank anyway. It's probably mostly just a strong acid but who knows what else is in it that could be potentially fatal to fish. Even if it did work in cleaning the glass I would be tempted to tell you not to use that tank anyway.