Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Advice on stocking 55g - one "wet pet" (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/advice-stocking-55g-one-wet-pet-375994/)

Lyrical 04-03-2014 05:03 PM

Advice on stocking 55g - one "wet pet"
 
Hello all!

I'm new to this forum but not new to the fish hobby. I've had fish in one way or another since I was a little girl. Let's just say, that's been a long LONG time. ;)

Right now I have a 39g tetra/danio/cory tank, a 29g young red jewel pair tank, a 20gL guppy tank and a 2.5g betta tank. My daughter and son in law are putting together a 47g saltwater reef tank and I will soon have a 20gL freshwater goby tank.

I am getting a 55g setup tonight. I am wanting a single, "wet pet" type tank. I've always wanted an Oscar but know that it would get too big for a 55g. A Jack Dempsey is out as well.

I have been trying to do some research as to what would work, but the more I read online, the more conflicting information I find.

What I am considering now is...a female Green Terror OR a Red or a Turquoise Severum OR a pair of Blue Acaras or maybe even a Salvini. Those are pretty much in order of preference.

Thoughts? Pros/cons to any of those choices?

Editing to add...the tank will be well over-filtered and oxygenated.

Thanks in advance!

jaysee 04-03-2014 05:11 PM

I would go with a pair of cichlids rather than just one. I think you'll find then more interesting that way. To get a pair, the best way is to get 6 juvi fish and let a pair form naturally. You will eventually remove the other 4 fish, but it's not a bad idea to leave them in for a little while so that the newly formed pair can "bond" by defending their territory together. For a 55 gallon I would look for fish that will grow to not more than 10 inches. The tank is only 12 inches wide.

Lyrical 04-03-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 4231466)
I would go with a pair of cichlids rather than just one. I think you'll find then more interesting that way. To get a pair, the best way is to get 6 juvi fish and let a pair form naturally. You will eventually remove the other 4 fish, but it's not a bad idea to leave them in for a little while so that the newly formed pair can "bond" by defending their territory together. For a 55 gallon I would look for fish that will grow to not more than 10 inches. The tank is only 12 inches wide.

I have that setup already with my pair of young Red Jewels.

I really don't want to have to have to take back any fish, I'd be too attached to them by then, lol...and I am at my limit with tanks - I'm removing chairs from my living room just to fit in the 55g tonight!

jaysee 04-03-2014 05:57 PM

What about getting a turtle?

sandybottom 04-03-2014 07:02 PM

a couple of fancy goldfish or a mating pair of angels would look nice in a 55.

jeaninel 04-03-2014 07:52 PM

A Green Texas cichlid (herychthys carpintis, not cyanaguttatus) would work well and is a beautiful fish. They stay a bit smaller than the regular Texas (h. cyanaguttatus) to about 8-10 inches. I kept mine in a 55 gallon with some tiger barbs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lyrical 04-03-2014 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 4231834)
What about getting a turtle?

I have 9 - 8 box turtles and 1 Russian tortoise. :D

Lyrical 04-03-2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandybottom (Post 4232090)
a couple of fancy goldfish or a mating pair of angels would look nice in a 55.


We're wanting to do something we haven't done before, we've had goldfish and many many angels. :D

Lyrical 04-03-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 4232250)
A Green Texas cichlid (herychthys carpintis, not cyanaguttatus) would work well and is a beautiful fish. They stay a bit smaller than the regular Texas (h. cyanaguttatus) to about 8-10 inches. I kept mine in a 55 gallon with some tiger barbs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hmm...that is something to consider, thank you. I've done some research on a regular Texas, but not the Green Texas Cichlid.

Cichlidsrule102 04-04-2014 06:31 AM

I dont see how a Jack Dempsey would be out. They only grow to 10in, occasionally one or two get to 12in. Most male terrors only get to 10 in, although they CAN get to 12. Female green terrors usually only get to 6in. What about a fire mouth, or mabye a pair. My firemouth is full of spunk and personality, and is always begging for food and Ive only had him about a week, they only grow to 6in and are very colurful when maintained well. cheers


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2