Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   finally got api master test kit! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/finally-got-api-master-test-kit-3756/)

lioness501 03-01-2007 03:54 AM

finally got api master test kit!

as soon as i got it i used it, my nitrites 0, nitrates r down to 20. but there is detectable ammonia? how do i get rid its .25. i did a water change yesterday do i just keep doin changes until its gone?

Lupin 03-01-2007 09:30 PM

Yes. Doing 10-15% daily water changes should keep down the ammonia.

Andyandsue 03-02-2007 08:27 AM

I had the same issue a while ago when I upgraded and added more fish. I did daily 10% water changes. I admit I added half a small packet of BioSpira after the 3rd day and that really seemed to get the cycle complete. I am devoted fan of the product- it's always worked for me. Regardless; I do think that being careful not to over feed along with daily water changes should do the trick. I also did daily water testing (with the same kit you have) to make sure it was staying on track.

lioness501 03-02-2007 09:24 AM

i have cut feeding down to every other day and the tank has been running for 7 months now and was cycled before, i think before i overfed them because i love feeding time!

Andyandsue 03-02-2007 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lioness501
i have cut feeding down to every other day and the tank has been running for 7 months now and was cycled before, i think before i overfed them because i love feeding time!

I know what you mean. I feed my community tank twice a day, small amounts because it's just so fun to watch. I give them dried blood worms or shrimp for one of the feedings because they eat differently-it takes them longer.

The fact that the tank was already cycled is great! I would do just what you are doing: Cut back on feeding, clean the gravel to remove any leftover food, and test the water daily with small water changes as necessary to keep things in check. I still recommend using BioSpira (if you can buy it from a quality store that handles it correctly, sells it regularly, and keeps it in the fridge). I went through a mini-cycle with my last tank when I added too many fish at once. Again, BioSpira saved me.

Keep us posted as to what happens.

shavon 03-02-2007 01:28 PM

I finally found an API Master Test Kit today.

I tested my 75 gallon tank and my results were :
pH 7.6
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrites 0
Nitrate 10

I also tested my tap water and the results were:
pH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5

Are my Nitrates high enough. There is only a difference of 5 between tap and cycled. The tank has been cycled and running for two months. I was also wondering about lowering my pH. Most of the fish I have like the pH lower (around 6.0-6.5). I was wondering if the pH Down chemicals worked and if they are best.

Andyandsue 03-02-2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shavon

pH 7.6
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrites 0
nitrate 10

pH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5

Are my Nitrates high enough. There is only a difference of 5 between tap and cycled. The tank has been cycled and running for two months. I was also wondering about lowering my pH. Most of the fish I have like the pH lower (around 6.0-6.5). I was wondering if the pH Down chemicals worked and if they are best.

I'm thinking you are ok. My nitrates are never above 5. I would just keep checking the water and change out only what is necessary. I'm no expert on pH, but I posted a similar question. I have a VERY high pH of 8, but since I have had no fatalities I have left it alone. If it isn't broke, don't fix it, you know? :) The members that replied agreed just to leave it alone.

musho3210 03-03-2007 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shavon

pH 7.6
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrites 0
nitrate 10

pH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5

ph chemicals is a big no unless it is to put the ph back where it belongs for a while to buy you more time to discover why it left the normal level. 7.6 is a bit hard but most f1 fish species can handle it, if the fish dont mind, you wont have to mind :)

lioness501 03-03-2007 04:07 AM

well ive got it down to between 0 and 0.25, its in between on the colour chart :)

Andyandsue 03-03-2007 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lioness501
well ive got it down to between 0 and 0.25, its in between on the colour chart :)

I'm confused! :? What did you get down, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates or pH?

Although unless we're talking pH, that is an ok number! :)