Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Does anyone hear ever had experience with Hydrokable? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/does-anyone-hear-ever-had-experience-37548/)

JasonI 02-18-2010 09:05 PM

Does anyone hear ever had experience with Hydrokable?

Hello everyone. I might add that I'm new here to the forum and would like to know if everyone is feeling okay today. I am an avid fish keeper for some 10-14 years now. I am considering doing a project with a 20 gallon long and this tank will be planted. I am going to be using a substrate heater called hydrokable. So I would like to know if any one here has ever used this device before. This tank was also one of my first tanks that I began to use as a planted tank before. It is runing now with fish that are inappropriate for this tank. I have 2 silver dollars, 1 raphael spotted catfish, and 1 synodontis cat in it all these fish should be in a larger aquarium but I've had them for so long now. I'm just thinking of rehoming these fish because they have grown so large especially the (S.D.). I have been running this Tank for some years now. I have been checking my water perimeters PH is 6.4 Amonia is 0 Nitrites are 0 Nitrates are around 20ppm. Most of all I have two HOB filters an aqua clear mini and a whisper 20 old filters that had came off a ten gallon. I will not go further into detail about that. I purchased some eco complete red version and wanted to add this later on in the future when I get rid of these fish. The tank is bare at the bottom with some Anubias and Java Fern on some "Drift Wood". I was wondering if anyone had ever used substate heater's here before. I also purchased it with a 25 watt heater which after I purchased it and began to set it up I noticed that in the instructions it says it is good for up to 17 gallons and maybe should've purchased a 50 watt cable. I should've looked at this a little more closely. I have another heater for the tank so I'm not trying to replace it for that. I just don't want to have to take out all that I would put over it and redue it again. Sorry for the long post hope someone may have some information.

Mean Harri 02-18-2010 09:55 PM

Substrate heaters used to be the rage some time ago. Using eco complete you don't really need one. A substrate heater is mostly for causing minimal currents in the water under the substrate to keep the nutrients for the plants circulating to the root area. Eco complete is not a material that will compact tightly and cut the circulation off to the roots.However, I do not think it would hurt anything. Also, the general consensus is that the substrate heaters will keep the substrate warmer than the rest of the water such as is found in nature where the earth is warmer underneath as opposed to the water surrounding the plants.

Angel079 02-18-2010 10:00 PM

Hello & Welcome to the forum.

I pers would not use a under gravel heater in a planted tank. While they work great to heat a tank with no plants and you don't see no heater hanging in the tank. That very same aspect that normally would hide it away is not so ideal for the plants.
The Temp under you gravel will have to be several degrees hotter there to achieve a certain Temp within you tank, let's say your tank gotta be set for 80F for your fish its safe to say under the gravel its gotta be 85F or even more. And you're producing this very high heat right at the life line of your plants there; their roots.
So for that very reasoning I'd pers not want to install it in my planted tanks.

JasonI 02-18-2010 10:53 PM

I'm aware that with past experiences of not using a substrate heater but I would like to experiment a little in something old but new to me. I keep my tanks at mostly 76-78 degrees tops. I just say I would like to dabble a little into the unknown from my perspective. I have been trying out new ideas even when they have been tried before so I thought maybe bring in some new insight on some old concepts to see if for any reason or another people have tried or experienced this method. I hope to learn of new ways to take care of my tanks to see if their may be any benefits to these older techniques. I for one never did substrate heating but would like to try something new. Even when things that may be new to me are not so new to other members here. Just want to thank you guys for such quick responses and even though it's a little late I'm working out at the moment and I will be back on later to here of any more responses from members here at Tropical Fish Aquarium many thanks for your prompt replies. I shall be back in a half hour or so so keep me posted. I'm also thinking of other methods of doing things to help my plants thrive research is the key sometimes on some projects and now I seem to do more research before attempting to try something new. I also stated that these items were already purchased so it's a done deal now I just have to wait to set this tank up as I still need to rehome some fish in this tank.

willow 02-20-2010 04:14 PM

hello and welcome.
good luck with your experiment.

iamntbatman 02-21-2010 06:24 AM

Welcome to TFK!

aunt kymmie 02-21-2010 11:07 AM

Hi, welcome to the forum. I, like Willow, wish you success in your "experiment" and will be following along on your progress. :)

dramaqueen 02-21-2010 11:54 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum.