Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Are Corys always crazy? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/corys-always-crazy-37515/)

Promelas 02-18-2010 09:55 AM

Are Corys always crazy?

I picked up a pair of corydoras sterbai 2 days ago for my new tank. Ammonia and Nitrites are 0 with lots of plants, caves etc for everyone to hide. All day they swim around like crazy back and forth on the back glass and was just curious if this is common behavior. I figured they'd alwasy just be chillin on the bottom! Just want to make sure nothing is wrong with em :-)

Tyyrlym 02-18-2010 10:37 AM

My pandas do this occasionally. Most of the time they're very calm bottom dwellers but occasionally the just go nuts for a day or two, running up and down the glass then they settle back down. I've never noticed a reason that could trigger this behavior but they do it.

Angel079 02-18-2010 11:34 AM

I had found int he past & current Cory stock's of mine that younger Cory cats are much more likely for that behavior then older one's. Take my Albino's int he 45g they're up& down, left & right ALL day you'd think they wear themselves out but no, occasionally I see them take nap's and otherwise they run wild. The 55g they hide and nap most of the day come out every once in a while but are mainly active later at night.

You said you have a pair....If your tank permits the room they'd in general be happier as a group, just a side note.

Promelas 02-18-2010 01:03 PM

Thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong!

Angel, I do plan on getting more of them since I know they often shoal together. Do you happen to know if different cory species will shoal together or would it be better to purchase more sterbai in the future? I'm just trying to add fish slowly at the moment so I don't tax the system too much.

iamntbatman 02-19-2010 05:36 AM

Some will school with other species but it can't really be counted on. I think you'd be better off getting more of the same species.

NC Frank 02-19-2010 06:09 AM

Very common behavior... especially for younger specimens. Mine have always been constant motion until they hit maturity and start to spend more time on the bottom.

Angel079 02-19-2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 328518)
Some will school with other species but it can't really be counted on. I think you'd be better off getting more of the same species.

+1 I seen Peppers & Skunks school together - Sometimes they do; other times they don't without any rime or reason to it.

1077 02-19-2010 11:48 AM

I have some nearly three year old julii corydoras that hardly ever leave the sand except for spawning and then they are all over the glass depositing eggs.

pete zahut 02-22-2010 11:21 AM

the hyperactive behavioure(probably spelled wrong) is pretty common for cory's in a new environment.
mine did that for about a week or so, now they are just lazy but sometimes speed to the surface or swim around for a couple minutes.
nothing to worry about.

Byron 02-22-2010 12:49 PM

I concur with the previous responses. This is very common, more with some species than others, when introduced to a new tank. I have seen it when moving a species I have had for months to a different tank.

Tyyrlym is also correct, some species do this regularly or at certain times of the day. My trio of C. panda are fine during the morning, but in the afternoon and evening frequently (almost regularly) together or sometimes just two or singly, up and down the glass. They have been in this tank for over a year now.

And on the shoaling aspect, I recommend a minimum 3 of the same species where there is more than one species in a tank. A group of 6 or more is always beneficial, the more the merrier (for them and the aquarist:-)) and if you want two or more species, try to have 3 or more of each species. Some are almost solely species-interactive, others vary. My C. panda and C. similis are almost always together in their own species, whereas C. duplicareus mix with others individually even though there are five of them. In their habitat, more than one species of Corydoras is frequently encountered together, but in very large groups of sometimes hundreds of fish of each species.

Byron.