Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Can I save my platy? She's acting... dead... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/can-i-save-my-platy-shes-374962/)

willertac 04-01-2014 01:44 PM

Can I save my platy? She's acting... dead...

I have 3 platys in a 10g, one for almost a year, the others six months, and the old one looks and is acting sick. I recently put a light over the 10g her and two baby platys are in. Ever since then, she hides under the bridge decoration there. I found her on her side last night and presumed her dead. But upon closer inspection, she was waving her fin, and when I tapped on the tank, she righted herself and hid again. Later she left the bridge to the top of the tank, swam a bit, and hid again. Her mickey mouse tail looks smudged and glossy now. When she was resting on the gravel, the right way, her side fins looked clamped top to bottom. She's been hiding for a few days, but just yesterday seemed unhealthy.
Can I save her? Is she starving herself or something? I rarely see her out from under the bridge. In that case, should I turn off the light?

Flint 04-01-2014 02:19 PM

Turn off the light and see if it helps. Can you get a photo of her tail?

willertac 04-01-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 4218682)
Turn off the light and see if it helps. Can you get a photo of her tail?

I just got home and turned off the light. She swam out for a few seconds, then hid again, but is actually moving a bit more. I can't get a picture of her tail because of the position she's in and her movements. I don't want to stress her out too much by forcing her out either. I also forgot to mention that yesterday I put stress coat and aquarium salt in the tank.

willertac 04-07-2014 08:33 AM

It seems Mickey/Rickey has suddenly gotten scoliosis. She's shaped like an s now, and her recovery from her dead-like state was going well, too.

lilnaugrim 04-07-2014 10:41 AM

It sounds like some water quality issues. Can you give us the specs on your tank?

How often do you do water changes?
How much do you change?
What additives do you use?
What are all the tankmates?
Filter?
Heater?
Food?
How often do you feed and how much of it at a time?

It also sounds like there isn't many hides in your tank, do you have a lot of decor or a little bit? Can you get us pictures of the tank please?

Sorry for all the questions! Just want to get the big picture is all!

willertac 04-26-2014 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilnaugrim (Post 4254370)
It sounds like some water quality issues. Can you give us the specs on your tank?

How often do you do water changes?
How much do you change?
What additives do you use?
What are all the tankmates?
Filter?
Heater?
Food?
How often do you feed and how much of it at a time?

It also sounds like there isn't many hides in your tank, do you have a lot of decor or a little bit? Can you get us pictures of the tank please?

Sorry for all the questions! Just want to get the big picture is all!

I didn't get an email telling me you posted, so I didn't notice until now.
I did a water change, so the parameters need to wait a bit, but I usually change the water every other week or so, at least 1/4th of it, sometimes a 50 percent change.

I use API stress coat and feed them TetraFin goldfish flakes twice daily, a pinch or two each time. I have an aquatech 5-15 filter and a ViaAqua 50 watt heater, which is set to 80. I have 2 plastic plants, a small bridge, and some river rocks in the corner with one of the plants that they sometimes hide in. I got monywort for another tank, but I'm unsure if I should move it, as that tank is filled with greenwater.

She lives with 2 baby platties, at around 7 months now.

And guess what? She straightened out!

lilnaugrim 04-26-2014 09:37 PM

Well, I do suggest if you can bump the water changes up to once a week that would be much healthier for all of them. Platies are very messy fish and so you'll need to remove all that waste before they can get ammonia poisoning! They also would appreciate more plants, try to go for silk or fabric though. I know this costs money so get it when you can but believe you me, they would be very happy with more spots to explore!

willertac 04-27-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilnaugrim (Post 4370698)
Well, I do suggest if you can bump the water changes up to once a week that would be much healthier for all of them. Platies are very messy fish and so you'll need to remove all that waste before they can get ammonia poisoning! They also would appreciate more plants, try to go for silk or fabric though. I know this costs money so get it when you can but believe you me, they would be very happy with more spots to explore!

I got them 2 fabric/silk plants today and a Marimo moss ball. Only problem is, I now have to wait 2 days for filtration.
I unplugged the filter, did the water change, plugged the filter back in and walked away. I later noticed that it was doing nothing. I went to unplug it from the surge suppressor power strip, and... POP! A fire almost broke out in my house. Turns out, the filter no longer pulls water and the power strip had to be thrown out, a burned hole in its side.
Luckily I have Amazon Prime and a bubble strip laying around...

lilnaugrim 04-28-2014 07:18 AM

Oh wow, yeah, that stinks! Definitely make sure to do water changes while you wait for the new filter! I'm glad it didn't burn the house down though!!!!

willertac 04-30-2014 05:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I finally got some pictures of Mickey/Rickey's tail. Attatched are before (when I got her) and after (now) pics.

The filter came in, but it would take up at least a third of the tank's length and a quarter of the width, so I am going to get yet another filter today for them and return this one. It was advertised for 10-20 gallon tanks, and the size under it is about three times smaller:redmad:.

Also... while I am at the store... I had had my eyes on these beautiful guppies... and my greenwater-filled tank is being blacked out again... so If I see said guppies, do you think it is safe to add (temporarily) new fish while she is like this, or should I let the newer fish wait for now?