Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Ok here's the plants i ordered... ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/ok-heres-plants-i-ordered-37491/)

KSASTER2 02-17-2010 09:21 PM

Ok here's the plants i ordered... ?

Hope I chose the right plants... 30g TANK... ordered from Sweet Aquatics

1 Potted Sword
2 Potted Foreground (can be substituted for microsword portions)
1 Bare Root Anubias
2 Bunch Plants
5 Vallisneria
1 Aponogeton Bulb with sprouts
2 Bare Root Cryptocorynes
1 Potted Cryptocoryne
1 dwarf onion pot
1 Java Fern
1 Bacopa Monnieri Pot
3 Lilaeopsis Mauritiana (potted)

Never done this before how does this sound... Is it to much?... a little nervous

Mean Harri 02-17-2010 09:32 PM

Looks good. Keep in mind that the Anubias and Java fern are to be attached to a decoration such as a piece of driftwood or to a rick or something. You don't bury the roots. I tied mine to my driftwood with black cotton string. The string will eventually rot away and the plant will be attached by the roots by then.

Nice list btw

KSASTER2 02-17-2010 09:45 PM

thanks for the info...how about the potted plants do i bury the pots in the substrate or do they sit on top

Pep 02-17-2010 09:55 PM

Sounds great. It is lots of plants but I am new to the planted thing as well and I am thinking I am light on plants. Can't wait to see the pictures :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSASTER2 (Post 327789)
Hope I chose the right plants... 30g TANK... ordered from Sweet Aquatics

1 Potted Sword
2 Potted Foreground (can be substituted for microsword portions)
1 Bare Root Anubias
2 Bunch Plants
5 Vallisneria
1 Aponogeton Bulb with sprouts
2 Bare Root Cryptocorynes
1 Potted Cryptocoryne
1 dwarf onion pot
1 Java Fern
1 Bacopa Monnieri Pot
3 Lilaeopsis Mauritiana (potted)

Never done this before how does this sound... Is it to much?... a little nervous

Mean Harri 02-17-2010 09:56 PM

You carefully remove the pot and the gauze type material around the roots then plants it in the substrate. Carefully remove the gauze stuff. You don't want to yank the roots off the plants. I found the pots come off easy as well as the gauze. (or whatever it is)

Angel079 02-17-2010 10:36 PM

Either use string or rubber bands to attach the Java Ferns / Anubias.

Easiest I found to get the foam of potted plants of ...have yourself a lil bowl of water there and put that under water, run it between your fingers; comes off easier then outside the water that way.

Then plant them all as you like it organized (just allow all room to grow) and then pls take pictures for us :-)

I think the mixture of plants will be just fine as well as the amount!

KSASTER2 02-18-2010 08:19 AM

I will have before and after pics up...I just ordered last night and I think sweet aquatics only ships stuff out on mondays and tuesdays so its probably going to be a week... In the meantime can I put the water in the tank and get the filter up and running or should i wait for the plants to show?

LisaC144 02-18-2010 10:02 AM

Absolutely. Get the water in, the heater hooked up, and the filter up and running. When the plants come you can plant them right away. Nice plant list. Looking forward to seeing pictures :-)

KSASTER2 02-18-2010 10:17 AM

sounds like a plan...pics coming soon

Angel079 02-18-2010 11:37 AM

Just get everything set up, gravel rinsed & put it filter going and then also the heat going.

Whenever I order my plants there ( no matter which day I do) they ALWAYS arrive on Fri, never fails, I can relay on that one. Just another reason I like them guys, I don't have to do guess work when my stuff may or may not get here :-)