Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   Lisa's non-planted to planted conversion (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/lisas-non-planted-planted-conversion-37398/)

LisaC144 02-16-2010 01:54 PM

Lisa's non-planted to planted conversion

As many of you know, I am one of the people who are finally taking the step into the planted aquarium world. I've had much success so far with my small 5g plantd tank (A VERY BIG THANK YOU TO ANGEL079 AND BYRON WHO HELPED ME iMMENSELY!) and I love it so much that I am now converting my 55g to a fully planted tank.

So far, I replaced my AquaClear 110 HOB filter with a new Eheim 2213 canister filter (WOO HOO!) that JUST got delivered. I will be setting that up tonight and am praying that it is fairly simple and won't have any problems with the setup.

For substrate, I am replacing my black and white gravel with solid black Eco-Complete. I wil lbe ordering my plants this Friday when new stock arrives and will be having it delivered next Friday. I'll be doing the conversion next Saturday morning.

My plant list right now is:

2 Amazon Sword
1 Red rubin sword
1 Red crypt (red wendtii)
2 Anubias Frazeri
3 Vallisneria corkscrew
1 Narrow Leaf Chain (Echinodorus tenellus) OR Sagittaria Subulata
1 PW- Pennywort
1 Ludwigia repens
3 banana plants

If anyone has suggestions on additional plants or changing plants, please feel free to speak up. For example, narrow leaf chainsword or sagittaria subulata for a foreground plant? Pro's and con's to both?

I am really looking forward to seeing the before and after pictures and expecting a drastic change, for the better of course! I am very excited about this and look forward to sharing my change with everyone on this wonderful site :-)

Angel079 02-16-2010 02:21 PM

Very happy to see this come together.
Just remember like I said before take the existing sponges/ pads whatever you got in the HOB and stuff them in the Eheim to avoid a new cycle.

The Chain sword will grow quicker as far as building new runners then the Sag. While both leaves look a lot alike the Sag is thicker and the chain sword thinner as far as texture when you touch them. Would it help you any if I took you close ups of each plant from my 55g?

Only thing left to say now is: Congratulations!

LisaC144 02-16-2010 02:31 PM

Thank you!!! I'm very excited! I'm worried about setting up the new filter though. I have 0 experience with a canister and the instructions seem difficult to understand. Many people complained about the lack of instructions but LOVE the filter. I found a step-by-step video on YouTube that will hopefully help. Something about cutting the tubes for the quick disconnect. Does that sound right?

I don't want to cause you trouble taking pictures but if you want too, of course I'd love to see them :-D . I do think I'll like the look of the Sag better. It's a bit thicker and I think I'll like that more.

Mean Harri 02-16-2010 04:43 PM

Nice plant list. Yay plants. woot woot. You go girl

LisaC144 02-16-2010 05:13 PM

Thanks Eric. I hope it turns out as nice as yours! :-D

Angel079 02-16-2010 07:53 PM

The Forum is superstttt slow for me tonight (any other website works just fine) so I'll upload you some tomorrow or is that too late?

Angel079 02-16-2010 08:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's 3 pic's where you'll see the Narrowleaf chain sword and its new runners.
Like I said both look a lot alike just the Sag grows a lil slower and has a lil thicker leaves.

LisaC144 02-16-2010 08:30 PM

Nope that won't be too late. Thanks, Natalie!

Angel079 02-16-2010 08:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And here's the Sagittaria....sorry best pic's I could get since there's other plants infront of it and its hiding behind the big stump in the corner :|

LisaC144 02-16-2010 08:31 PM

Wow, we posted at EXACTLY the same time. I like the thickness of the leaves of the narrow leave chain sword. I thought it would be thinner.From your pictures, it also looks like the Sag gets taller than I want. I want it for the foreground. Thanks so much. I'm going to stick with that.