Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Upgrading from Bio-Wheel to Magnum Canister... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/upgrading-bio-wheel-magnum-canister-37397/)

JohnnyD44 02-16-2010 02:49 PM

Upgrading from Bio-Wheel to Magnum Canister...

Hey All,

my canister filter finally came!! here's my dilema...

I currently run two marineland bio-wheel 350's on my 55G tank....i'm switching to a planted aquarium and have read to eliminate surface aggitation as much as possible so I ordered a Marineland Magnum 350 Canister filter.

My question:

What is the simpleist way to make the switch on filters without causing a mini-cycle??? I will not be ordering plants till probably the 26-29th...which is when they said they'd be getting another shipment in at Sweet Aquatics.

I was gonna do a partial order to be here friday, but I remembered I'm leaving town for my bro's 21st birthday!!:tease:

Do you think I could just run both bio-wheels and the canister until i get my plants? should be about two weeks worth of double filtering to let the canister colonize some good stuff.....

Any suggestions!? Thanks in advance

nomel 02-16-2010 03:07 PM

Stuff all of your filter material from your existing filter into the canister ;)

Personally, whenever I add large portions of smelly plastic, I use some activated carbon for a water change cycle. The plastic usually smells so bad, I can't imagine it doesn't leech a few chemicals from the manufacture process into the water. Have you ever drank from a newish plastic cup after sitting out all night? Terrible!!! Or better yet, water from a refrigerator with fresh plastic plumbing. UCK.

Angel079 02-16-2010 03:11 PM

+1 all you got in the HOBs for sponged/ pads stuff it in there and you're set w/out mini cycle. Thou to be rather safe then sorry I'd still test the NO's for few days once you switch.

LisaC144 02-16-2010 03:14 PM

Johnny, I just upgraded to a canister as well due to going planted. The Eheim 2213. Setting it up tonight. Just wanted to let you know that SA posted on their site that they are getting a new shipment on 2/19.

JohnnyD44 02-16-2010 04:24 PM

pads and biowheels all will fit in there??? wont the biowheel be damaged??

ugh.....i just got home and according to FedEx.com the package was 'delivered'....i got home and no package anywhere at my house.....grrrrr!!!!

LisaC144 02-16-2010 04:31 PM

You can just allow the bio-wheels to float in the tank for a couple weeks, but since you're getting a new filter I wouldn't worry about the bio-wheels getting damaged. All you need them for is the BB then after a few weeks you can toss them.

jeaninel 02-16-2010 04:52 PM

I would just run the cannister along with the 2 biowheels while you're out of town. When you get back remove one of the HOBs and stuff what media you can from the HOB into the cannister and float the biowheel. After a week or two do the same thing with the other HOB.

JohnnyD44 02-16-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 327026)
I would just run the cannister along with the 2 biowheels while you're out of town. When you get back remove one of the HOBs and stuff what media you can from the HOB into the cannister and float the biowheel. After a week or two do the same thing with the other HOB.

this sounds like what I'll do...

but I just called FedEx, and "they're gonna call me back when the driver get backs to the dock" cut me a break!!!! ugh...

atleast I got a jump start on my new doors for my stand....which will be part of my build thread :-D

thanks for the help everyone!

iamntbatman 02-17-2010 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 327026)

+1. This is exactly what I'd do.

LisaC144 02-17-2010 09:25 AM

But why run all that filtration and added water movement running 2 HOB's and canister if he can just stuff his new canister with the media from his HOB from the beginnig? Is there a benefit to waiting to transfer the media?