Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Best food for Cichlids? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/best-food-cichlids-37393/)

Fleuryy 02-16-2010 12:46 PM

Best food for Cichlids?

Just looking to spark some convo, want opinions on types of good healthy foods for CICHLIDS??

I have a 55 gallon with 2 power filters, and 2 corner filters, 1 airstone.

Have about 12 fish total in there, 5 are aggressive cichlids. along with 2 bala sharks, pleco, talking catfish, and Little danios.

bearwithfish 02-16-2010 01:25 PM

well pellets are god but if you want a more natural approach some plants and small feeders make a good meal or two

jeaninel 02-16-2010 02:11 PM

What type of cichlids are we talking about?

Fleuryy 02-16-2010 02:58 PM

The Cichlids are mostly from Malawi Lake I believe

Blue Johanni
Red Zebra
Yellow lab
Ice Blue Zebra
Pindani
Kenyi

Also what others would mix well with these types?

jeaninel 02-16-2010 04:08 PM

I have not kept Africans so i'm no expert but I think most Malawi cichlids would do well with a diet consisting mostly of algae and vegetable matter and not too much fat. Most pellets and flake with spriulina would be good. I know they are susceptible to a disease called Malawi Bloat which can be brought on by too much fat in the diet. I think what I would do is research the particular fish you have to see what type of diet is best for them.

mollies 02-16-2010 07:01 PM

Not trying to be harsh but if i were you, I would get rid of The balla sharks and danios and catfish. As your cichlids get larger they will get more aggresive. Now with that said, I would look at (Mbuna's all from lake Malawi) Like (jeaninel) has stated. Your cichlids will get up to 5to 7 inch.

Your pleco depending on what kind it is, will get way to big for a 55 gallon. If its a common pleco.
Your bala sharks will get to big for your tank size.
Your catfish will get beat up by the kenyi's and red zebra.
There are plenty of cichlids you can put in your tank.

Your water is going to differ for the differnt speics you have in your tank now. Your cichlids will need a ph of 7.8 to up to 9.0 so i would start with that. I keep my ph at 8.2.

Here is a web site to look at what kinds they have for sale. Livefishdirect.com They all so will sex the 2 to 3 inch ones for you to the best of there ability. I hope this helps. If you have any concerns just ask we will gladly help you.

Jeaninel has allready stated on the diet for you. You can also give them bloodworms once a week or every other week.

Fleuryy 02-17-2010 04:54 PM

ok cool thanks, thats good information to have, im going to upgrade the tank when needed, im keeping the bala sharks, cat fish and danios there until i have room for them in another tank, so right now im stuck with that outcome

at the moment the all of them are doing well with each other, the red zebra cichlid is the female leader of the tank