Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   How soon after I cycle can I stock fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/how-soon-after-i-cycle-can-37390/)

Promelas 02-16-2010 01:14 PM

How soon after I cycle can I stock fish?

Today is the first day nitrites are finally reading 0s. So as of now, ammonia and nitrites are both at 0. I don't have a nitrate test kit, but I was at my LFS a few days ago and had it tested and it's low but I can't remember the exact reading. Can I start putting fish in as early as today? Or should I still wait a few days. As of now I have 6 head and tail light tetras, and only one green tiger barb (2 died). I'm going to give the surviving tiger back to the store, and maybe add a group of them last but I'm undecided.

Kelso 02-16-2010 01:16 PM

How big is your tank? But yes, you can add fish starting today!

Promelas 02-16-2010 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got a 29g planted, here's a crummy pic of what I'm working with, can't wait for it to grow in!

Kelso 02-16-2010 01:21 PM

Not bad at all. It will be great when it fills out. Id honestly leave barbs out all together, but maybe 5 hatchet fish could be your next addition? If not them, maybe a pair of German blue rams?

Remember! Stock SLOWLY!

Promelas 02-16-2010 01:29 PM

hatchet fish would be cool, I like the look of them but I want to double check my pH at the store to see if they'd be OK. I'd also like to get some sort of Cory's. I had also been looking into upside down catfish do you know how they would act with them? German Blue's are very cool looking as well, but I think my pH is in the upper 7's, but again I have to check at the store :)

Angel079 02-16-2010 01:41 PM

With the tank being so new I'd do one outta two things here:
1) Either let it run as it is with what you got for a few weeks till its real stable
2) SLOWLY add any hardier fish; I don't find Hatchet's the idea choice for a new set up pers.

Also keep in mind for Hatchets their needs....Temp 75-82F pH 5-7 Hardness 1-12 (just check that's what you have in your tank there).
For the upside down catfish you'd need a small group of 3-4 of them and that with a tetra set up long term...I'd not wanna risk the aggression there - But its your tank not mine :-)

Promelas 02-16-2010 01:45 PM

I'll definitely be adding fish slow to not tax the system, but I'm excited for something new to look at!

Kelso 02-16-2010 01:47 PM

Oh yeah I did forget that both of the fish I mentioned are rather not suitable for new tanks...however the upside down catfish do not sound like a bad idea. I haven't seen any aggression myself from them, but yes it does exist.

Promelas 02-16-2010 01:52 PM

Yeah it seems like everyone has had different experiences with the upside down catfish, I'll have to think about it some more. It sure is tough figuring out what fish to choose!

Angel079 02-16-2010 01:56 PM

Really while its going & doing it natural think...just take your time thinking about what you want to have as a END result for that tank, read up, compare info yaddy ya and then see what you want for a stock and go from there.

For the catfish....its just like my pleco - Some folks have issues with them others don't....I pers believe that a fish behavior is VERY much so influenced by set ups (eg no plants vs tons plants, no caves vs having some etc) to an extent of cause I mean no matter how hardcore you'd plant a Oscar Tank...its still an oscar :-) But you get what I mean (I hope lol)