Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Zebra plecos? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/zebra-plecos-37368/)

frmrgrl87 02-15-2010 10:07 PM

Zebra plecos?

I may have fallen for my one true love.. the zebra pleco. Normally, i find plecos to be very ugly (no offense to all you pleco lovers out there, to each his own), but I was looking at some freshwater fish online and found the gem of the plecos. The only problem lies in the availability of such a beautiful fish. They are no longer being exported from SA where they are native. I have found numerous ones available in the UK, the problem there being how to get them here (to the US!). And the ones i found in the US from breeders, are 250$ a piece (if you wanna wait at the end of a many years long waiting list!) Does anyone have one of these beautiful fish so that I can live vicariously through you?

Byron 02-22-2010 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had one for many years a decade ago. Very beautiful and quite personable. He had his tunnel in a chunk of wood and at feeding time would appear at the entrance and patiently (for a fish) wait.

Hypancistrus zebra [Isbruecker & Nijssen, 1991] occur only (as far as is known) in the Rio Xingu in Para, Brazil, and unfortunately are near extinction which is why they can no longer be legally exported. Fortunately, they are quite easy to spawn, and many aquarists in the US have been successful. The fish is now available in the hobby though for a very high price, though I can get them for less than what you mention. Oliver Lucanus, an authority on SA fish, who lives in Montreal and owns "Below Water" importers has them for $170 CDN each, and Charles at Canadian Aquatics in Vancouver has had them for about the same, though his are special orders I believe.

Just to whet everyone's appetite, a photo of this true gem of a fish. Byron.

LisaC144 02-22-2010 12:48 PM

Wow, that is GORGEOUS!! I was at a new LFs yesterday and saw a placo labeled "False zebra pleco" for $22. Might do some more research on it. It was pretty, but not as cool looking as the one Byron has posted!

rosehower 03-20-2010 10:56 PM

looking into buying few of these for a colony (spiecies tank)

where did u say i could inquyire?? do they have emails, or sites...?

molliefan09 03-20-2010 11:01 PM

WOW is an understatement....that fish is absoluty beautiful, i havent ever seen one, but my LFS always has "zebra pleco" written on the display tank,..

Coryologist 03-21-2010 07:53 AM

L046

Greetings. I just picked-up a young, proven spawning group of 7 of these. I had to sell one of my kidneys to pay for them - but worth every penny. - Frank

Byron 03-21-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosehower (Post 348070)
looking into buying few of these for a colony (spiecies tank)

where did u say i could inquyire?? do they have emails, or sites...?

In my previous post I gave two Canadian sites. If you are in the US there are places, I understand several aquarist in the US breed these, but as Coryologist says they are expensive. You could try Corys-R-Us in Florida, they are reputable, there are I'm sure others, probably in California.

aunt kymmie 03-21-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 348241)
In my previous post I gave two Canadian sites. If you are in the US there are places, I understand several aquarist in the US breed these, but as Coryologist says they are expensive. You could try Corys-R-Us in Florida, they are reputable, there are I'm sure others, probably in California.

Pet Kingdom, San Diego, Ca. Talk to Ron, who manages the Freshwater Dept.

LMychajluk 03-21-2010 04:54 PM

One of my LFS, Absolutely Fish in Clifton NJ, had one last week. They were asking $400.

rosehower 03-24-2010 09:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LMychajluk (Post 348414)
One of my LFS, Absolutely Fish in Clifton NJ, had one last week. They were asking $400.

mine now.