Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   How to bring out the best colours in a fire mouth cichlid? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/how-bring-out-best-colours-fire-373538/)

Cichlidsrule102 03-30-2014 02:12 AM

How to bring out the best colours in a fire mouth cichlid?

Hey everyone, I'm just wondering how I can bring out the best, most intense colours in my fire mouth cichlid. He is a 1in juvie occupying a 2ft grow out tank with a baby tandanus tandanus of around 4in. I have Pisces Coral Sand Micro as the substrate, as I believe both fish like hardish water. (its my old A.Calvus tank, RIP). I have some driftwood, a half coconut shell cave, a couple of large rocks, one granite, one a thick piece of slate which is set vertically to create a wall, and a hair grass plant. I plan to get some more plants. I feed him Hikari Sinking Carnivore pellets, Hikari cichlid pellets (not sure what type as a friend gave the cichlid pellets to me in a ziplock bag) and cichlid flakes, supplemented regularly with peeled peas. (the catfish shares the same diet). Anything that I could do better the colours of my fire mouth? I have seen some absolute stunners before.

jaysee 03-30-2014 03:08 AM

If those hikari foods are anything like the betta food, with regards to its gratuitous use of wheat along with soy, corn and potato, switching to a higher quality food will help. Krill is a natural color enhancer, and is the top ingredient in NLS foods.

BUT, if you want to reeeeeeally see them color up you need to get them in the breeding mood - that is when fish are most colorful.

Cichlidsrule102 03-30-2014 04:34 AM

Alright thanks. the Hikari im using doesn't have corn or potato, although it does contain some soybean meal and some wheat flour. I will try and get some NLS, Ive heard a lot of great things about it, maybe also some freezedried krill, and frozen bloodworms.

Cichlidsrule102 03-30-2014 04:37 AM

I dont have a big enough tank to breed them yet, but breeding cichlids is something i have wanted to try for a long time, Ill look into it. I have bred wild caught purple spotted gudgeons before, that I collected from my dam. I had them in with a various assortment of fish from local creeks and rivers, including my favourite fish, Bucky the Salmon Tailed Catfish.

jaysee 03-30-2014 07:44 AM

Those are better than the betta formula - they don't list wheat 3 times. The carnivore pellets have krill in them, though the food is still dyed with coloring.

Id try to get frozen krill instead of freeze dried.

rsskylight04 03-30-2014 07:49 AM

Try raising temp a little and feed live or frozen brine shrimp and my cichlids really love whole frozen krill, for your little one you can cut up. Also keep water clean ( low nitrate) and high oxygen. Dark color background and substrate seems to help. Also a mate and breeding but...

Cichlidsrule102 03-30-2014 07:49 AM

ok thanks, also would a dark substratum help?

rsskylight04 03-30-2014 10:18 PM

People seem to like black sand for cichlids. Also lighting will affect his appearence. Lots of secure caves and hiding spots , plants seem to help fish feel.relaxed.

Cichlidsrule102 03-31-2014 01:28 AM

ok cool

Cichlidsrule102 03-31-2014 01:41 AM

how do i upload images? im on a macbook air, not windows so its different from the instructions i found on this site