Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Lonely Silver Arowana (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/lonely-silver-arowana-3735/)

hamdogg08 02-28-2007 01:02 PM

Lonely Silver Arowana

I was wondering what a good tank mate for an arowana would be. He's with a turquoise severum, pleco, and a small Texas cichlid. The cichlids are just leftovers from a south american tank. What would be a good roomie for my arowan?
p.s. The arowana's about 10" right now; the severum's about 7"; and the texas is about 2-3"

xingumike 02-28-2007 01:13 PM

more plecs........... :)

depends what you want really i suppose, mid level, bottom dwellers etc?

hamdogg08 02-28-2007 01:17 PM

I'd say mid level or bottom. The arrow is usually patrolling the top. I was thinking about maybe planting the tank and then adding discus and angel fish. Do you think that would work? Anyone can feel free to shoot that idea down or praise my genius..either one would be fine :D

xingumike 02-28-2007 01:31 PM

never kept discus can't comment but my angel was all over the tank, wont a 10 inch aro have a go at them anyways?

If it were my tank (and its my aim to have one big enough for an aro one day) i would have the aro, loads and loads of plecos and maybe something like a black ghost knife fish, they are way cool fish imo

Daz 02-28-2007 04:11 PM

Freshwater Ray. Nice to look at too. They inhabit different levels of the tank would make a lovely addition.

Lupin 02-28-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xingumike
never kept discus can't comment but my angel was all over the tank, wont a 10 inch aro have a go at them anyways?

They will. You should have seen my aro managed to split my gold angels' dorsal fins when I tried to keep them with the aro.:sob: My aro is 10-12 inches in size.
Quote:

If it were my tank (and its my aim to have one big enough for an aro one day) i would have the aro, loads and loads of plecos and maybe something like a black ghost knife fish, they are way cool fish imo
I agree.

tophat665 03-06-2007 08:24 AM

For down the road a ways when I get a 250 gallon tank and start thinking about an Arowana:
Plecos - check! (A common, an albino chocolate, and a Gibby)
BGK - Check! (Always wanted one - in 250 gallons, maybe even two)
Shovelnosed Cat? (Not tiger - the other)
How about some more classically fish shaped fish? An Oscar or two or a Jack Dempsey?

What say you?

hamdogg08 03-06-2007 05:14 PM

I heard you could put oscars in with an arowana too, but I think that we've been misinformed. My 3" oscar kept my 8" arowana in the corner of the tank, and wouldn't let him get more than a foot away from the corner. I was watching them one morning to see the oscar bite the arowana leaving four scales floating the the bottom. Needless to say, the oscar isn't part of the family any more... :evil:

ChristianFlores2007 07-09-2007 12:48 AM

for the oscars it sometimes depends on their personality as of being too aggressive or calm but aggressive but not too much.Its a good choice to remove a aggressor from the tank before any fatalities. My uncle had the same problem with his 6" oscars and his 14" silver arowana in the 150 gallon.The aro was always being bullied and always had ripped fins. =/Then he brought the oscars back to the store where he got them from.

Gump 07-09-2007 09:14 AM

I wouldnt put a ray or discus in with a silver arowana. I would say go with some synodontis cats or some of the smaller species or south american cats. Bichirs are always a nice option and are very popular with arowana owners. What size tank?