Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Question about filtration (esp with ich). (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/question-about-filtration-esp-ich-37318/)

Austin 02-15-2010 08:27 AM

Question about filtration (esp with ich).
 
Hey guys,

My little 10 gallon tank with my baby platies and mollies (and 1 guppy) (about 15-20 platies)(about 10-15 balloon mollies) might have ich! :(

2 of my fish have one ich white spot on them, so should I treat it? Or what do you guys recommend?

Also, I have some questions about filtration:

Is it necessary to have activated carbon as part of your filter system? If I took the carbon out of the sponge cartridge, would it work the same?

Since the filter is kinda breaking/broken I don't think it pumps as much water as it says. So the decreased flow makes the bio-wheel not spin, so I'm afraid to take the filter cartridge out to treat the ich because all the beneficial bacteria will die, so I'm considering taking out the activated carbon.

Lupin 02-15-2010 08:36 AM

Carbon is not necessary. You'd have to dispose it after 4-6 weeks prior to using it.

Use salt for ich. 3 teaspoons per gallon will do it. Start with a teaspoon per gallon first and add each set every 12 hours until you have the total dosage of 3 teaspoons. Redose salt per water volume changed when you make water changes daily. Be sure to vacuum substrate thoroughly during water changes to remove cysts out of the tank and if you have other tanks, use separate equipments or sterilize your equipments instead.

Splinter492 02-15-2010 10:37 AM

and make sure u use aquarium salt and not table salt. table salt will kill everything in the tank.

iamntbatman 02-15-2010 08:24 PM

You can use table salt. Aquarium salt is just table salt but it's not iodized and costs a lot. The iodine concentration in iodized table salt isn't enough to harm your fish.

Lupin 02-15-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 326476)
You can use table salt. Aquarium salt is just table salt but it's not iodized and costs a lot. The iodine concentration in iodized table salt isn't enough to harm your fish.

Yep. The only additive to avoid is ferrous cyanide or yellow prussiate.

It still gets to me how the salt myth about iodine being harmful remains circulated around.:roll:

Austin 02-16-2010 03:38 AM

Well, I have aquarium salt so it's not a worry. Last time I checked it was veryyyy cheap though.

nomel 02-16-2010 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 326184)
You'd have to dispose it after 4-6 weeks prior to using it.

Yeah, I always had trouble finding the ready to use carbon in the local landfill after the 4 weeks.

Should they raise the temperature as well? Otherwise, you'll have to treat for a much longer time.

1077 02-16-2010 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 326180)
Hey guys,

My little 10 gallon tank with my baby platies and mollies (and 1 guppy) (about 15-20 platies)(about 10-15 balloon mollies) might have ich! :(

2 of my fish have one ich white spot on them, so should I treat it? Or what do you guys recommend?

Also, I have some questions about filtration:

Is it necessary to have activated carbon as part of your filter system? If I took the carbon out of the sponge cartridge, would it work the same?

Since the filter is kinda breaking/broken I don't think it pumps as much water as it says. So the decreased flow makes the bio-wheel not spin, so I'm afraid to take the filter cartridge out to treat the ich because all the beneficial bacteria will die, so I'm considering taking out the activated carbon.

So long as you don't clean, remove ,Biowheel you can remove carbon cartridge.;-)
Biowheeel also holds quite a bit of beneficial bacteria.

Austin 02-16-2010 04:05 AM

The problem is the filter is likeeee broken kinda and the biowheel stopped spinning :/

Lupin 02-16-2010 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomel (Post 326681)
Yeah, I always had trouble finding the ready to use carbon in the local landfill after the 4 weeks.

Should they raise the temperature as well? Otherwise, you'll have to treat for a much longer time.

82-84 degrees. Plenty of water changes are needed as the young livebearers will need plenty of feeding to satisfy their appetite. At high temperature, their metabolic rate also increases. I'd take advantage of that to allow them growth spurts while salt concentration remains consistent.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2