Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Best Food to use? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/best-food-use-372874/)

IceChamber 03-28-2014 09:56 PM

Best Food to use?

Ok I have been using New Life Spectrum 1mm sinking pellets for my tropical community freshwater tank since I started it. It is what the local fish store recommended to me.

Today I tried something new because I got a free sample in my filters. It is the Marineland color-enhancing tropical flakes. I noticed my candy cane tetras LOVED these... They ate more then I have ever seen them eat before. I always worried about them eating enough.

So now I am pondering the question as to the best food to use in my freshwater tank?

I also use API Algae Eater wafers (1 a day for my pleco).

Anyone have any advice?

jaysee 03-28-2014 10:10 PM

Best Food to use?

The NLS you already have.

Their zeal for eating something is not a reflection of the quality of the food. I'll take a look at the ingredient list and we will see what's what.

Eh, not impressed. I hope all the dyes in the food is not what enhances the color of the fish.....

thekoimaiden 03-28-2014 11:04 PM

Some fish will gobble up anything offered to them in much the same manner that dogs will often eat most things offered to them. Doesn't always mean it's good for them. Since you got it as a free sample might as well use it up, but the NLS you have is the better food.

jaysee 03-28-2014 11:55 PM

I wouldn't use it up. It was free, and is no where near as good as te NLS. Would suck to get constipation or bloat as a result of feeding an inferior food just because it's free. Free is all the more reason to toss it IMO.

IceChamber 03-29-2014 03:17 PM

Well what is the best BRAND of food to use though.

I have done a lot of reading since I posted this and seems there are different opinions.

I think I want to get the best brand, and do pellets and flakes for a variety. But I want to ensure I am give my little guys the best food they can get.

jaysee 03-29-2014 03:31 PM

There will always be differing opinions on what is "best" because we all have our own criteria for what makes one thing better than another. All you can do is ask for an explanation of why someone thinks something is better, if they haven't provided that on their own. Then you can more accurately determine if it's what's best for your situation. Sometimes comparisons are fair, sometimes they are not fair. Too often it becomes an apples and oranges discussion.

Tolak 03-29-2014 04:14 PM

Most people will feast on steak, broccoli with cheese sauce, and a good baked potato. Eat it every day for a week & you'll be sick of it, every day for a month & you'll probably be physically ill. The same applies to fish, NLS is a really good product, the flakes may be OK, but won't kill the fish, just like you eating a bag of Doritos won't kill you. Add in some good live or frozen foods with the NLS, perhaps some fresh veggies now & then, a good variety is going to be better than any one product.

IceChamber 03-29-2014 08:44 PM

Fresh veggies???

I never though of that. What kind of veggies are good for my fish? And how do I go about giving them to them.

Also I do add in frozen blood worms every now and then

jaysee 03-30-2014 12:32 AM

Except that a steak, broccoli and cheese sauce and a baked potato is hardly complete nutrition, even with butter, bacon and sour cream :-)

Agent13 03-30-2014 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceChamber (Post 4203970)
Fresh veggies???

I never though of that. What kind of veggies are good for my fish? And how do I go about giving them to them.

Also I do add in frozen blood worms every now and then

I add fresh zucchini on a veggie clip a couple times a week . Otherwise NLS has it all covered really

Sent from Petguide.com App