Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Question about Fishless Cycling (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/question-about-fishless-cycling-37268/)

Niyona 02-14-2010 02:38 PM

Question about Fishless Cycling

I'm setting up a 30 gallon Hex Tank. I broke down my 75 gallon, and moved several pieces of driftwood as well as many live plants into the new tank. And of course a few hitchhiking snails... So it's pretty well seeded.

My question is, will doing a fishless cycle affect my live plants in any way?

Also, where does one find the amonia needed to do a fishless cycle?

JohnnyD44 02-14-2010 03:26 PM

is your 75G non-existing anymore?? you could just take that filter and put it on your 30G and you can add fish today.....

Byron 02-14-2010 03:55 PM

It sounds like you have live plants. If you do, and if you also move wood and plants from an established tank, you will be able to add some fish immediately and there will be no cycle to speak of. The plants consume a lot of ammonia (as ammonium), and what they leave behind, the nitrosomonas bacteria grab, and the bacteria will be plenty on the wood and plants from an established tank.

I have set up many tanks with plants, always introduced fish the first day, and never had ammonia or nitrite above zero from the first. Just don't overdo it with the fish, a few at first, then a few more after a couple days, and so forth.

Byron.

Niyona 02-14-2010 07:00 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, My 75gal had a Rena Filstar xp3 on it. I was just going to use it, but it's outflow was too big for my newer/smaller tank. I kinda figured all the plants and driftwood would do a pretty good job of cycling the tank by by themselves, but wasn't sure.

I decided to throw a couple of danio's in there for the fish in approach just in case the tank did a mini cycle. I'll leave them in for a bit and see how they do.

JohnnyD44 02-14-2010 08:22 PM

danios are a great choice as a fish used to cycle with, they're hardy fish

stephanieleah 02-15-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD44 (Post 325976)
danios are a great choice as a fish used to cycle with, they're hardy fish

like Byron said, there probably won't be a "cycle" per se. The plants and seeded bb should more than suffice if the fish are introduced at a moderate rate.;-)

JohnnyD44 02-15-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephanieleah (Post 326117)
like Byron said, there probably won't be a "cycle" per se. The plants and seeded bb should more than suffice if the fish are introduced at a moderate rate.;-)

whoops! missed the part about them deciding to use plants!!! :shock:

blacksheep 02-16-2010 11:25 PM

i had the same question, thank you!