Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Revised 55 Community Plan (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/revised-55-community-plan-37263/)

cbirk 02-14-2010 11:02 AM

Revised 55 Community Plan

Ok, so because of some recent developments in my 55 community tank (See 'Frustrated Plant Question' and 'It's been a Sad Week') I have decided to restock my 55 community.

I am going to trade my red tailed shark and bala shark in to the LFS, and I am going to get some more various Tiger barbs. So my end result will be;

10 Various Tiger barbs (Albino,Black, etc)
5 YoYo Loaches
5 Ghost Shrimp
1 Rainbow Shark
2 Otto

I used that tank calculator and it said that I should be golden (minus the rare occurance of 10 inch yoyo loaches)

But I thought I would just post here to be sure and see if I can get any more input.

Curently for filtration I have a Fuval 404 canister, and an aqua quiet 55 So I think I have proper filtration. I have some drift wood, and a lava rock with holes thorugh it, 2 amazon swords, 2 water sprites, 2 red wintii and some java moss.

Presently I have small gravel substrate but I was contemplating putting some sand in it. The 2 yoyo loaches I have now love to play in the gravel, and thus far have never been hurt, but I would like to make the best environment for all the fish as possibe.

So Suggestions/Corrections/Critiques?

aunt kymmie 02-14-2010 12:03 PM

A Yoyo reaching 10"?? Naw, 5" tops. I've had my yoyos for two years and the largest one is only 5". Your yoyos will eat your ghost shrimp. Loaches love inverts.

cbirk 02-14-2010 12:09 PM

Yeah thats what I said, but the website thing said they can get up to 10 in on rare occasions. I'm not really worried about it haha.

eat my Ghost Shrimps??Really?? that sucks. I have 1 ghost shrimp in with 2 yoyo's now and they do just fine, though I think it's a little harded for 2 yoyo's to find 1 ghosty... He's a sneaky bastard. hmm I may have to reconsider the tank then. I am trying to find a good Algea control. I have two oto's but I heard they don't eat algea for very long, like the chinease algea eaters.
I could get another pleco, but I don't want to risk them wrecking havoc on the plants, and I want to have a tank that I don't have to worry about fish outgrowing it.

Anyone have any good advice??

Mean Harri 02-14-2010 12:17 PM

From what I read last night Ramshorn snails are fabulous algae eaters. But, loaches will eat them

cbirk 02-14-2010 12:28 PM

Yeah I was actually recommneded those snails specificly for snacks for my YoYo's haha. Maybe I will just go back to my plan of breeding them for snacks, and hope they clean the tank a bit before getting eatin haha It would work out perfect...

aunt kymmie 02-14-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbirk (Post 325747)
. I have two oto's but I heard they don't eat algea for very long, like the chinease algea eaters.
I could get another pleco, but I don't want to risk them wrecking havoc on the plants, and I want to have a tank that I don't have to worry about fish outgrowing it.

Anyone have any good advice??

I have an albino bristlenose plec, she doesn't touch my plants and she's a nonstop consumer of algae. She has topped out at 4". Otos eat algae their entire lives. Without algae in the tank they have been known to starve to death.

cbirk 02-14-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 325756)
I have an albino bristlenose plec, she doesn't touch my plants and she's a nonstop consumer of algae. She has topped out at 4". Otos eat algae their entire lives. Without algae in the tank they have been known to starve to death.

oh good. I was hoping I had heard wrong. How hardy is the albino bristlenose plec?

aunt kymmie 02-14-2010 12:56 PM

IME, pretty darn hardy!

cbirk 02-14-2010 01:19 PM

Cool, thanks a lot, I think I will get one of those instead of the 5 shrimp :)

iamntbatman 02-15-2010 08:44 PM

If you plan on keeping otos, I would get more than just two of them. They're a schooling fish so I'd go for five or six. They do like their algae, though, so in a 55g tank I don't think five of them would get enough to eat with a bristlenose in the tank with them. I'd probably pick between the otos and bristlenose (maybe 2 BN's).