Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Minimum Hardware (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/minimum-hardware-3724/)

hamdogg08 02-27-2007 10:34 PM

Minimum Hardware

I am an experienced freshwater owner and am ready to tackle a reef aquarium (eventualy). I have a 75 gallon with a bio whell filter, and a 29 gallon with a canister filter. What I am interested in is reaching the ultimate goal of a 125 gallon with corals, a sump, MH lamps... All of that stuff hits the wallet pretty dang hard, and I'd rather start making headway with some kind of fish-only setup in one of my current tanks and slowly add things as I go allong.
I have an undergravel filter, lift tubes, air pump, and powerhead aswell but they are not in use. I also do NOT have RO water in either tank in case copper leaching is an issue with use of live rock now, and corals in the future.
I'm eventially willing to spend a bunch of money in the long run to set up a really nice reef tank, but have to chip away at pieces one at a time right now because I'm a poor college student.
The question is: With my current equipment, what is the minimum that I need to buy in order to get a saltwater tank going, and do I need to worry about the copper-laiden water wrecking anything for future reef use (the main concern would be live rock in a FOWLR-type setup)?

Melissa 02-28-2007 06:17 AM

ok, well you would need some light to keep your live rocks alive, like a 50,50 bulb or if your have a double strip one of each. then maybe a skimmer, some sand and a filter for saltwater, like a canister. thats all i can think of for now, if i think of more i will add it.

usmc121581 02-28-2007 06:29 AM

Re: Minimum Hardware

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamdogg08
I am an experienced freshwater owner and am ready to tackle a reef aquarium (eventualy). I have a 75 gallon with a bio whell filter, and a 29 gallon with a canister filter. What I am interested in is reaching the ultimate goal of a 125 gallon with corals, a sump, MH lamps... All of that stuff hits the wallet pretty dang hard, and I'd rather start making headway with some kind of fish-only setup in one of my current tanks and slowly add things as I go allong.
I have an undergravel filter, lift tubes, air pump, and powerhead aswell but they are not in use. I also do NOT have RO water in either tank in case copper leaching is an issue with use of live rock now, and corals in the future.
I'm eventially willing to spend a bunch of money in the long run to set up a really nice reef tank, but have to chip away at pieces one at a time right now because I'm a poor college student.
The question is: With my current equipment, what is the minimum that I need to buy in order to get a saltwater tank going, and do I need to worry about the copper-laiden water wrecking anything for future reef use (the main concern would be live rock in a FOWLR-type setup)?

Lets see what you listed as equipment that isnt being used. The only thing you can use is the powerhead, everything else forget about it. As for the canister filter which one is it. They are nitrate factors so it wouldnt be good to run one on a reef but fish only it really doesnt matter.Now if you have cooper pipes dont use that water for the saltwater tank. copper is the enemy of corals. If yoiu are going to turn one of the freshwater tanks into salty with fish only for now. Then you will need some rock (Live or base rock) sand, salt, and bulbs.

caferacermike 02-28-2007 06:49 AM

Just do like I did. I bought my tank and stand, put it in the living room and let it sit for over 6 months while I bought everythign I needed. Patience will get you farther in this hobby than any piece of equipment. Set your goal, make your lists and chip away at it. One day you'll have everything. Constantly changing your route will only make it cost triple in the end.

hamdogg08 02-28-2007 09:16 AM

USMC: The filter that I have is a Fluval 205, and it's in the 29 gallon tank. My main concern with using my current equipment is getting copper stuck to the hardware, then killing my corals in the future. Is this an issue at all or am I worried about nothing?

Melissa 02-28-2007 09:20 AM

im not sure it is a worry or not. but if you want to be safer than sorry, just buy new stuff.

hamdogg08 02-28-2007 09:42 AM

Has anyone here used their old freshwater tank as a reef tank without killing off a bunch of corals?

Sleepy 02-28-2007 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamdogg08
Has anyone here used their old freshwater tank as a reef tank without killing off a bunch of corals?

I did and it works fine. I think it´s always easier to go from freshwater to saltwater with your old stuff. Especially with the tank itself. If it is cleaned there won´t be any problems.
The other way around takes some more work.

hamdogg08 02-28-2007 12:05 PM

Awesome!! That was the testimony that I was waiting for. I was super worried about having to get a brand new tank filter, RO unit, and skimmer all before having a single fish in the tank. Knowing that my stuff's not wrecked is great news! Thank you

trreherd 02-28-2007 05:04 PM

How do you know there copper in your water? But if you want to try and use your tap water, maybe you could test it out on a cheap peice of coral for a few months and see if there is any ill effects.