Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   PH Killing My fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ph-killing-my-fish-37238/)

RegalT 02-13-2010 10:53 PM

PH Killing My fish?

I've had my tank Established and Cycling for 5-6 months now, but I am occasionally losing fish and I'm not sure why. I have 75gl Community tank with a variety of fish and I'm pretty sure theres no bullying going on by how close I watch them. My liquid tests always fair well and never show any danger to the fish I stock. The one thing that always remains the High Ph level, Right around 7.8. I'm sure this is common for city tap water in the winter, but I wonder if it has been the culprit the whole time? I just yesterday began a buffer treatment to bring the Ph back down to 7.0, but now I wonder if I will be constantly chasing this with every water change. (I'm sure I will)

also one last question. I just bleached my Filter to my magnum 350 and have washed it numerous for about three days, but it still smells of Bleach... is it safe to use?

molliefan09 02-13-2010 11:49 PM

why are you bleaching your filter media?? You shouldnt EVER cleaning your media with ANYTHING other then tank water youve taken out durring a waterchange.

RegalT 02-14-2010 12:25 AM

http://www.petco.com/Assets/product_...43101400BC.jpg
They are to be cleaned and reused, I'm not using this for everyday filtering its strictky for cleaning and polishing.

molliefan09 02-14-2010 12:40 AM

i dont use canister filters but i still dont think they should be washed/cleaned in anyting but old tank water...i could be wrong...but i def wouldnt use it in my tank after being cleaned with bleach...

iamntbatman 02-14-2010 01:06 AM

Hmm...honestly, I'm tempted to tell you to throw that thing out and just buy a new one. Bleach contains chlorine, which is extremely toxic to your fish. I think you'd spend more on dechlorinator making it safe than you would just buying a new one.

What fish are you keeping in the tank? What are your other water parameters? Have you been using chemicals to change your pH before the recent buffer treatment?

1077 02-14-2010 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegalT (Post 325492)
I've had my tank Established and Cycling for 5-6 months now, but I am occasionally losing fish and I'm not sure why. I have 75gl Community tank with a variety of fish and I'm pretty sure theres no bullying going on by how close I watch them. My liquid tests always fair well and never show any danger to the fish I stock. The one thing that always remains the High Ph level, Right around 7.8. I'm sure this is common for city tap water in the winter, but I wonder if it has been the culprit the whole time? I just yesterday began a buffer treatment to bring the Ph back down to 7.0, but now I wonder if I will be constantly chasing this with every water change. (I'm sure I will)

also one last question. I just bleached my Filter to my magnum 350 and have washed it numerous for about three days, but it still smells of Bleach... is it safe to use?

I would leave pH alone. You will indeed need to use buffer at each water change otherwise.
Would not use the pleated polishing filter after using bleach. Would keep all filter material wet in aquarium water or dechlorinated water when switching it out to use polishing filter or cleaning filter material.
Hard surfaces can be cleaned with mild bleach and water solution, then rinsed well and allowed to dry for 24 hours. Material that is absorbent or pourus, would be very hard to rinse the bleach from.
Would agree with batman, and replace the polishing filter rather than cleaning it with bleach.
Without knowing what species of fish you are keeping, would be hard to say if the pH is uncomfortable for the fish.