beginner SERIOUS help
I have a 2.5 gallon tank, which I got this past christmas, since then I purchased three guppies all male and a small frog, all of them ok for a while then I replace filter at one month mark and the next day there is tons of algae, one fish dies the next day with all fins completely gone. Another one dies later from ammonia burn (long story) but one guppy and frog ok. However, then the frog becomes extremely skinny and lethargic i found him with one of his legs trapped in the filter but not dead, he died pretty soon after. After safely cleaning entire fish tank one guppy is still alive, so I decide to buy a swordtail, which does fine for two weeks, then he gets ich visibly and it rapidly becomes worse. I used quickcure for last two days and saw no improvement pretty soon his tail falls off, i watch him for a while and he suddenly dies. I'm thinking about giving up on aquariums because I absolutly hate to see them die and I feel horrible, please help I want to be able to keep more than just one fish a live for more than a week. I have an ammonia level checker and the levels were safe, I do routine water changes, feed regularly, keep the light off, and have a heater that keeps water temp in high seventies. I have one guppy from the first group that has remained alive with fin rot which I also recently started to treat with maracyn. Please tell me what I can do to fix this and how to keep my fish healthy in the future.
I wanted to add that it has fluorescent lighting, plastic plants, whisper filter, and I don't know all my Ph, nitrate, or ammonia levels, last water change was two weeks ago. When I first got the tank I let it cycle.
Re: beginner SERIOUS help
Its called new tank syndrome, its where the tank is not cycled but already carries its full capacity.
It is where the ammonia and/or nitrite levels get too high and kill the fish. This isnt a disease but rather a consequence of messing with mother nature.
When you changed your filter media you threw away all your beneficial bacteria and your ammonia levels spiked which killed your fish. The dwarf frog probably died since it wasnt fed properly (they have a strict diet and wont last long on regular flake food)
All you need to do is buy 100% pure ammonia at your local pharmacy/grocery store, anywhere that sells cleaning detergent and buy it. Make sure it is 100% ammonia with no added purfumes.
Put in 1-2 drops daily of the ammonia into the tank (with no fish), test the water parameters daily as well. Once the ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0 with some nitrates you may add your desired fish and stop adding anymore ammonia, also dont change your filter media, just rinse it in old aquarium water, if it has activated carbon in it just take the carbon out.
Also next time dont get a frog or swordtail, both wont do in a 2.5 gallon, also make sure the guppies you have are all males.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2