Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Watering indoor plants with aquarium water... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/watering-indoor-plants-aquarium-water-371809/)

Stoke88 03-26-2014 06:56 PM

Watering indoor plants with aquarium water...

Does anyone water their indoor plants with water from a water change? I think it would be beneficial in multiple ways. Recycling water, extra nutrients, fertilizer from fish waste etc. Any thoughts?

jentralala 03-26-2014 07:48 PM

I have jars of plants on my windowsill that I only use tank water for, seems to keep them happy. I also used tank water for growing a sweet potato plant as an experiment, worked like a charm ;p

My tanks also serve as giant watering bowls for my cats who don't understand boundaries, so it's perfectly safe to use IMO.

EDIT: I also have terrestrial/bog plants in my hang on back filters, and they grow like crazy.

Stoke88 03-26-2014 08:48 PM

Plants in your filter? Sounds interesting. What kinds of bog plants?

sandybottom 03-27-2014 12:28 AM

i water my garden with aquarium water. plants love it.

Ogre44 03-27-2014 07:28 AM

I water my wife's houseplants with it.
They took off after I started and are doing great.

jentralala 03-27-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoke88 (Post 4186297)
Plants in your filter? Sounds interesting. What kinds of bog plants?

Dunno if they're technically considered bog plants, but they're plants that enjoy having 'wet feet'. I've got an insane array of plants, mostly from cuttings from my mom's garden. There's philodendron, peace lily, elephant ear, mexican petunia, purple waffle, and a few other varieties.

Planted HOB filters are gorgeous imo, and really fun. Plus a great way to help with water parameters. Just gotta make sure the plants receive enough light.

hulalu48 03-27-2014 08:16 PM

i water all my plants with my aquarium water. Why waste it when the plants thrive off of it. :-)

sandybottom 03-27-2014 08:29 PM

aquaponics uses fish waste to feed veggies. check out some videos on you tube. interesting stuff. i would like to try the ibc tote aquaponics set up.

sandybottom 03-27-2014 08:31 PM

there is a new filter that i just saw at petco yesterday.

Aqua Duo Power Filters | ThatPetPlace.com

i wonder how well it actually works.probably works the same as any normal hob with a plant stuck into it. just looks a little cleaner.

Stoke88 03-28-2014 04:28 PM

I'm for sure going to look into those filters. I'm assuming a hanging light will also be necessary since my tanks are in the basement with little ambient light correct?
Posted via Mobile Device