Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Sea Monkeys (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/sea-monkeys-37160/)

veganchick 02-12-2010 08:00 PM

Sea Monkeys

Well I have 62 rescued bettas at my house and 3 of my own bettas (the rescues are up for adoption. They were taken from a store that was shut down do to poor conditions). It looks like sea monkeys are really easy to care for, and I know bettas LOVE brine shrimp, so I grabbed some eggs, food and conditioner and got a mini critter keeper to put them in. I put in water and conditioner and I am waiting 24 hours to put in the eggs. My room is about 68 in the winter, so I need something to keep the tank warm but I'm no sure how.... Will they reproduce on their own? What do I do for water changes and top offs? Is there anything else I need to know? (oh, and I will get more tanks and more shrimp if this works out because it wouldn't be nearly enough shrimp for 65 bettas in just on critter keeper. Thanks!!!

Austin 02-12-2010 10:11 PM

I think the baby brine shrimp need salt water. And they'll be pretty tiny, almost too tiny to feed the bettas. (though they might still eat some...) and most likely the brine shrimp won't grow big enough to reproduce in your critter keeper... Best to just keep hatching eggs if you want the baby brine shrimp. tho this won't be the best thing to feed grown bettas.

Edit: oh, btw, since you have food maybe they will grow a bit. idk how easy they are to breed though. for water changes you'd add salt water. For top offs, you'd add freshwater, since the salt does not evaporate. goodluck.

veganchick 02-12-2010 10:25 PM

thanks! Yah I got the saltwater conditioner stuff with the eggs... Ok, I never thought about the salt not evaperating (I'm new to this whole SW thing). Do I need any extra aeration? Can sea monkeys jump, or can I leave the critter keeper uncovered? How can I heat the water better?

Austin 02-12-2010 10:31 PM

Well, I hatch baby brine shrimp (sea monkeys) to feed to my baby fish, and they have been hatching fine in my bathroom which is probably 68-70 degrees since it is winter. I've never tried keeping them after they hatched though. All I really know about is how to hatch them. I don't aeriate my hatcheries and they hatch fine, though everywhere I read recommends using an air pump. You can buy a small tank heater to use. Make sure it's safe for saltwater. Anyways, any of the information about keeping them after they hatch is what I would assume you'd do... you might be able to find some guides on raising brine shrimp on google or somewhere. It might have better information.

veganchick 02-14-2010 05:35 PM

Ok thx! So If I got a 5-10g tank and put salt and conditioner in it and let it sit for a day, then I could add brine shrimp and they would grow larger?

iamntbatman 02-15-2010 10:01 PM

I'm not really sure how successful you'd be in trying to raise adult-sized brine shrimp. As Austin said, they're easy to hatch but pretty difficult to grow into adult shrimp (that's why, with Sea Monkeys, you start out with a billion of the little guys and end up with 1 or 2 adults).

redchigh 02-26-2010 11:10 PM

I've never even heard of 24 hours... I just dissolved rock salt in water and dropped the eggs in.

As far as heat, if you're worried about it, put them close to a light bulb. (not too close!)
I read somewhere that light helps them hatch. I wouldn't really know though...

I don't think it's that they won't hatch without an airstone, but maybe they have a higher hatch percentage with aeration? I think its just so the eggs stay moving and aren't settled in the bottom the whole time.

I've even fed my guppies Triops before, but you have to be careful with those...
If one managed to survive a few months by hiding, it would get big enough to eat guppy fry... and after a year it would be eating adults...

iamntbatman 02-27-2010 02:51 AM

I don't think triops can live a whole year. They only live for about 90 days, as far as I know. But they do get large enough that I'd worry about them eating adult guppies.