Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Time for more plants! Any suggestions? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/time-more-plants-any-suggestions-37143/)

Promelas 02-12-2010 09:59 AM

Time for more plants! Any suggestions?

2 Attachment(s)
Today I'm able to cruise over to the LFS and get some more plants for my 29g. I have a 15W 8,000K Aqueon bulb as well as an 18W florasun by zoomed that is 5,000K. So far I have a red wedntii, some dwarf sag in the front, regular babytears, some vallisneria, and lastly a moneywort I believe. Anyone have any suggestions that would go well in this tank? I'm also thinking about adding a black background, I like how many of your tanks look with it. My only concern is that the black will accent some calcium deposits on the aquarium. I got it used, and I cleaned it as best I could but there is still some on there that I couldn't get off. Any tips on that one as well? Thanks again!

redchigh 02-12-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Promelas (Post 324362)
Today I'm able to cruise over to the LFS and get some more plants for my 29g. I have a 15W 8,000K Aqueon bulb as well as an 18W florasun by zoomed that is 5,000K. So far I have a red wedntii, some dwarf sag in the front, regular babytears, some vallisneria, and lastly a moneywort I believe. Anyone have any suggestions that would go well in this tank? I'm also thinking about adding a black background, I like how many of your tanks look with it. My only concern is that the black will accent some calcium deposits on the aquarium. I got it used, and I cleaned it as best I could but there is still some on there that I couldn't get off. Any tips on that one as well? Thanks again!

I'd reccomend 1 more background plant, maybe egeria densa or mexican oak leaf..

and maybe some smaller foreground/groundcover plants...
(java moss, chain sword)

And that driftwood could really be spiced up with a anubias, java fern, java moss, or all three. ;)

It would help if you posted your water parameters, but I think the things I mentioned are pretty tolerant.

-EDIT- just noticed I'm a senior member now. Still, I'd double check anything I say to be on the safe side, even though I usually do too. ;)

Angel079 02-12-2010 01:58 PM

Very nice! And I agree I think that would look double good if you put some normal black window tint on the back of it; helps make the plants stick out more.
I'd also get smaller plants to add there now; something like narrowleaf chain sword; maybe different colored Crypts to your red one there or small swords....thing like that :-)

Promelas 02-12-2010 02:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestions we'll see what I can buy up!

Byron 02-12-2010 07:30 PM

A suggestion on the background, if the deposits show up as you mention; try brown paper, like a plain paper bag cut apart. Black will of course make white stains more procounced, brown will not. And the brown colour of paper bags will be neutral. An inexpensive test to see if it is better.

Promelas 02-13-2010 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I didn't see that tip before I bought stuff so I went with black. I ended up adding some hygrophila, water sprite, and more dwarf sag to fill in some areas. I'm going to see how that grows in before adding more! Finally starting to look like an aquarium :-D

Byron 02-13-2010 01:08 PM

What a difference. That looks much nicer; your plants look better too. Black is good; my brown suggestion was only because of your concern over the "stains" but I can't see any. And, as those plants grow, you will not notice anything except the beautiful plants and fish; backgrounds tend to "disappear" and plain black works best at that. Nice work. Byron.

Mean Harri 02-13-2010 01:16 PM

Looks nice. That's a crazy looking piece of dw. If it were mine I'd name it driftosaurus. The end of it that is elevated looks like some kind or "saurus" lol

LisaC144 02-13-2010 01:19 PM

Very nice selection. Made a huge improvement. Great job! Can't wait to see it grow in a bit more!

Promelas 02-13-2010 01:38 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to watching it grow in, should look nice! I never thought I'd be naming DW, but I think that name might stick!