Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Tissue Cultured Plants (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/tissue-cultured-plants-370954/)

LongTimeAquarist 03-24-2014 11:08 PM

Tissue Cultured Plants

I've just started off with live plants, lost two of them, the rest are doing okay and I'm planning on buying some more sometime in May or June. Anyway, I've came across a website that sells something called Tissue Cultured Plants, which is basically plants cloned to be more tank friendly. The website selling them is liveaquaria.com, and right now I want to get a second opinion on if they are worth buying or just buy the regular kind?

Austin 03-24-2014 11:24 PM

Hmmm I believe tissue cultured plants are guaranteed snail free. Whether or not it is worth it depends on if you care if you get snails or not. It really depends. None of mine are tissue cultured and I don't have any weird things like planaria or even many snails (mostly just my malaysian trumpet snails which I added purposely; I did see a pond snail a few days ago... but snails are not a big deal).

The biggest reason I'd buy tissue cultured plants is because one time I ordered plants which came with planaria that I discovered before I added it. YUCK!!!! Tissue cultured plants are not exposed to this.

Anyways, basically, whether or not it is worth it depends on the price difference. If it is not that much more expensive and I had the extra funds I'd go for tissue cultured plants to be sure I don't get any pests. If it is a lot more expensive and you're strapped for cash, I'd get regular plants -- most likely they are fine. Get them from a trusted source! I don't know much about live aquarium.

Also, keep in mind that if you buy only tissue cultured plants you will have much more limited options on plant varieties. You may end up having to risk introducing pests anyways to get certain plant varieties. Although, I guess overall your chances will still be reduced.

LongTimeAquarist 03-25-2014 12:32 AM

From what I can tell, they cost $10 and they have 6 varieties of them.

beaslbob 03-25-2014 02:43 PM

From what I understand, tissue cluture is using small pieces of a plant to g row a whole new plant. For instance, using cuttings in some house plants is one example. Another example is using almost microscopic parts in the correct environment to grow new plants. With some schemes on land type plants that sometimes involved autoclaving the sample then placing the sample on nutrients to culture the plants much as they culture bacteria on algar.

Some plants are very hard to reproduce with the most memorable to me the madagascar lace leaf plant. They don't reproduce in aquariums/ponds so had to be imported a few decades ago. But now they can be tissued cultured.

So to me tissue culture allows hard to reproduce plants to be cultured.

I think the snail problem is irrelevant as I do nothing and a year later only have a few snails remaining.

my .02

BWG 03-25-2014 04:05 PM

I really wouldn't consider tissue cultured plants to be any more tank friendly. If that's the selling point then it's a bad one. If you're worried about snail/planaria then I could see the point maybe. So many people neglect to QT new plants, myself included. I should work on that.

LiveAquraia is not the only place to buy tissue cultured. Heck those tubes you see at Petsmart and Petco re tissue cultured. Add in harder to find species and ones from other hobbyists and the list is much more than six.

Ghazanfar Ghori has had a lot of success cloning rare Crypts. If you want a partial look at what is involved with tissue culturing you should check out his blog. Cryptocoryne tissue culture / micropropagation Part 1 | Cryptocoryne Blog

One thing not mentioned by anyone, is that I would expect a period of transition since you are going from emersed to submerged growth. Not a big deal really since many plants are already sold that way. My thinking is that trimming from a fellow hobbyist will start growing quicker though. There's also the chance of failure converting. Not sure if people have had that problem with tube plants, but I know of enough people that dropped over a hundred on tissue cultured Cryptocoryne 'flamingo' (only way to get as of now) only to have it melt and never return.

No clue if Madagascan lace plants are TCed or not, but sorry Bob they can be propagated through seeds and bulb divisions. Slow process, so they might

beaslbob 03-25-2014 04:14 PM

thanks.

live and learn. :lol: