Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   I have a green film on all side of the glass any ideas?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/i-have-green-film-all-side-37067/)

gatorsfan 02-11-2010 10:50 AM

I have a green film on all side of the glass any ideas??

3 Attachment(s)
I keep using the magnet cleaner to clean the glass on my tank and it seems like as soon as I clean it about 30 mins later is all back on the glass again. I run my lights from 630am-630pm. Here is the tank test results for today.

PH-8.2
NH3-0
NO2-0
NO3-0
Temp- 79f
Salinity- 36
SG-1.026

Thanks for any help in advance.

marine666 02-11-2010 11:02 AM

Do you have a canister filter on your tank

Pasfur 02-11-2010 04:40 PM

Really? It returns within 30 minutes? If that is the case, then you are not actually getting a good clean scrape of the glass. I suggest that you try using a razor blade to remove the algae from the glass. Razor blades will come in handy anyhow, as removing coraline algae from the front glass will generally require a razor blade.

The question above is a good one, as canister filters can be directly responsible for the introduction of phosphate into the water, increasing the growth of problematic algaes. Knowing more background on your tank, I know this is not the situation.

gatorsfan 02-11-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasfur (Post 323866)
Really? It returns within 30 minutes? If that is the case, then you are not actually getting a good clean scrape of the glass. I suggest that you try using a razor blade to remove the algae from the glass. Razor blades will come in handy anyhow, as removing coraline algae from the front glass will generally require a razor blade.

The question above is a good one, as canister filters can be directly responsible for the introduction of phosphate into the water, increasing the growth of problematic algaes. Knowing more background on your tank, I know this is not the situation.

I just went and bought this scraper that looks like a razor blade so I will try that. Thanks guys!
No canister filter on this tank.

marine666 02-12-2010 03:08 AM

Good luck mate let us know how you get on :-)

gatorsfan 02-13-2010 02:56 PM

Well I got the glass scraper and some turbo snails....And now it is totally green. The sand and glass is full of green. Any ideas? Should I do a water change. All water parameters are good. Any help would be appreciated...Thanks in advance!

marine666 02-14-2010 01:33 AM

There must be some sort of phosphate in your tank feeding the algae, only 2 thing's i can think of and i'm just starting saltwater so it might be rubbish option one - you let it run until what ever is feeding it has gone or option If you dont have any way of storing phosphate remover you could put it in a net media bag and hang it in your tank. pasfur hopefully will have a better idea tho,

wake49 02-17-2010 09:22 AM

What kind of sand did you use?

I ask because I used a large amount of dry sand to fill my 150 gallon reef. Shortly after my diatom bloom I had a full hair algae bloom. It took about three months of siphoning out algae and vigorous (weekly) water changes to get the algae to subside. I believe that the dry sand had some effect, causing the hair algae to grow.

gatorsfan 02-17-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wake49 (Post 327437)

I ask because I used a large amount of dry sand to fill my 150 gallon reef. Shortly after my diatom bloom I had a full hair algae bloom. It took about three months of siphoning out algae and vigorous (weekly) water changes to get the algae to subside. I believe that the dry sand had some effect, causing the hair algae to grow.

I used Carib sand and I had my diatom bloom. I went this weekend and bought a UV sterilzer and it fixed my problems. Tank is crystal clear. I will take pics later tonight.

Pasfur 02-17-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wake49 (Post 327437)

I have found this to be the case also, which is why I never stop talking about alkalinity and calcium. I think the best defense is a good offense, and getting good coraline growth as early as possible is a great deterrent to other algae outbreaks.

But yeah, I had the exact same issue with my 54 and never quite got the coraline growing like it has in my 180 or prior reef. Each tank behaves a bit different.