Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   acrylic vs. glass tanks (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/acrylic-vs-glass-tanks-37063/)

stephanieleah 02-11-2010 12:31 AM

acrylic vs. glass tanks

Pros and cons?

I know absolutely nothing, so we're starting from ground zero here.

1077 02-11-2010 01:17 AM

Acrylic not as heavy as glass tank ,but is more unforgiving with regards to scratches. Can, over time,,, become cloudy looking much like the lens on headlights of auotomobile. IMHO.

iamntbatman 02-11-2010 02:39 AM

I much prefer glass. I really like to be able to use a razorblade to scrape stuff off the glass, which just isn't possible with acrylic. I also like that I can have my tanks for years and years without having some sort of expiration date on them.

Angel079 02-11-2010 09:03 AM

I pref glass for any sized tank; just cause if need be I can take it down and super clean it...acrylic can scratch superst easily.

stephanieleah 02-11-2010 09:52 AM

I'm playing DA here...I have heard that if acrylic gets scratched, you can't see it if the tank is full, and that the newer versions don't get the cloudiness effect if you spend on a good brand. Anyone have experience to the contrary on this one?

I'm just wondering because I think my housekeeper may have nicked mine with the vacuum or something and it has two small chips in the corner.

Angel079 02-11-2010 10:28 AM

With the "right" cleaner you can get any acrylic cloudy :-)
Do you have a glass tank there that the housekeeper nicked up? What kinda power steel vacuum is that gal using in your house!?

WisFish 02-11-2010 12:44 PM

I prefer glass as well for all the reasons mentioned above. I thought the only time glass wasn't used was with bow fronts or wavy looking tanks. Most square or hex tanks I thought were still glass.

JohnnyD44 02-11-2010 01:01 PM

I vote glass, they're easier to scrap stuff off an stuff like that, and don't scratch nearly as easiley...

stephanieleah 02-11-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 323696)
With the "right" cleaner you can get any acrylic cloudy :-)
Do you have a glass tank there that the housekeeper nicked up? What kinda power steel vacuum is that gal using in your house!?

I don't know that she nicked it with the vaccuum, i'm just trying to figure out what goes back and forth through that area every day. Maybe have been something else or one of the kids. I just want to make sure that whatever I get for my larger tank is sturdy and safe.

Further, I live in earthquake town over here so if we have an especially wobbly one, who knows...but if it was strong enough to knock down a 300 lb. tank, I'd have more to worry about than a broken tank I believe.

Longevity matters, too so if the acrylics are bound to get cloudy over time, then glass it it.

Mean Harri 02-11-2010 07:09 PM

You have a housekeeper? Dang...

Nothing I can say that hasn't been said already. Acrylic insulates. That's why there are chillers for aquariums. Not that you would need to chill it but when high light gets going on them they will hold heat vs glass that doesn't.

Housekeeper. Really?