Tropical Fish Keeping banner

My 20 gal

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Randy 
#1 ·
In the first pic, I forgot and left the flash on, but it did take a clearer picture that way and the fish seem unphased so no harm done I guess.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice...we need to talk you into a few more plants :)

What do you have there in the corners; is that a UGF with carbon attached?

#3 ·
Yeah those are ugf's w/carbon. The reason the tubes look kinda cloudy is when I inherited the tank, they were caked with algae and I used a new bronze 12 ga shotgun brush to clean 'em. Kinda roughed the surface up, but cleaned 'em good lol. i do really need more plants. I dropped some bulbs in yesterday that I found at Walmart and 4 of the 7 are still floating so I got ripped. Better to just go with plants from the pet store. I wish I had changed the gravel when I restarted the tank, but I had the plecos and cat in a butter bowl and just didn't have time to go to town to get 'em.

#4 ·
Yeah the walmart bulbs are a bust. When I first started about 5 years ago, I got like 3 packages of them, because I did not like the LFS where I was. I think 3 of them sprouted after about a month, and holding them down with gravel. The others just rotted, or were eaten by my red tailed shark.

#5 ·
You can change gravel...just get yourself a few buckets net the fish in redesign the tank :) Been there & done that!
Weren't YOU the one that told me about the place in Nashville too? I recently been there - Boy they have a disgusting selection...I could have bought the whole store and then some....and the gators in there priceless....

But on a serious note; if you wanna up your plants you gotta take the carbon outta there; that carbon will eat up what your plants need to thrive off of.

#8 ·
Sorry!? I think I should have better written that I was meaning disgustingly brilliant place and me wanting to shop empty the whole place :lol: it was wonderful there and I can't WAIT to get back there again next month (hopefully) they got soooo much and I love the owner; chatted with that guy forever
trying to make him set up a 2nd store somewhere between Crossville-Cookeville :lol:

#9 ·
Oh, well I thought something terrible must have happened because that place was AWESOME last time I was there. I especially liked the big chameleon display. Those critters have always fascinated me and I'd love to have one, but I asked them folks about having one as a pet and they said that it's not good for 'em to be handled, stresses 'em out too bad. i couldn't stand to have a chameleon and not be able to handle it.

Anyway, I added some more plants tonight and still need to figure something out about my UGF cuz I don't want that to harm my plants. I added some kyotos, amazon swords, and a peacock fern. It really helps the looks of my tank and my bigger fish are already picking at them and the little barbs and neons are hiding in them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.