Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Zen & the Art of Aquarium Maintenance. A Bog of Mollies (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/zen-art-aquarium-maintenance-bog-mollies-36991/)

lisaemc2 02-10-2010 04:53 AM

Zen & the Art of Aquarium Maintenance. A Bog of Mollies

Zen & the Art of Aquarium Maintenance

Still catching up. So much has happened in the last few weeks.

2nd Story Tank

Water temp is 75ļ. pH is 7.5. Nitrite & ammonia are nearly undetectable. Nitrate is a balancing act for me but Iím learning. Keeping @ 10 ppm.

I notice slight changes after a water change. Wu & TíAng waggle a lot. They act a little frantic. This is more than in the past. I try to keep things subtle & go real slow. Iíve even taken to use a water glass to introduce new water. I used to slowly pour from a bucket. I donít even disturb the substrate now. It subsides after some time. I swear the boys are simply drama queens. Looking at me all hurt. Tess & Abby are getting along. Suck it up! Iím so confused sometimes. Iíve only ever taken care of Cichlids & I never experienced this sort of thing before. Makes sense. I know Mollies are hardy but Cichlids are near indestructible. Still, the girls are never phased. Abby likes to nap but Tesla is always on the move. She sleeps when the lights are out. The world is her oyster. All the world is a stage. Weíre ready for our close-up Mr. De Mille.
I do have photos Iíll post on my Aquarium page. If youíre interested, itís under the name Nikki Finn. For the time being. Things will change. Improvisation & adaptation are the keys to evolution.

Nikki has given birth!!! Air stones for everyone!

New Players in The 1st Floor Tank
The Fry Babies

Water chem. levels the same. Except the pH, itís 7.2 now. Time for a change but Iím holding off for signs the babies will survive. Donít want to test them too much right now.

Nikki is the proud mother of nonuplets! Thatís how many Iíve been able to count. Theyíre so tiny! Okay, after a few days the count dwindled. I count sextuplets now. Is there a certain diet fry need to survive or are they the plucky warriors their mother is? Itís fascinating. Iím eager to see what the mottled ones look like. Nikki is still huge. I wonder I hope sheíll have more. The last time I had babies it was with my Labiotropheus Trewavases. 6 survived from that brood. I had to sell them when I moved to Brentwood. So, I never got to deal with them past 6 weeks. What do I do about these babies? Maybe transfer them upstairs? Maybe Nikki ate the missing 3. Maybe sheíll eat some more. Naked baby photos coming soon. Get out the bearskin rug!

redchigh 02-11-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisaemc2 (Post 322941)

Zen & the Art of Aquarium Maintenance

Still catching up. So much has happened in the last few weeks.

2nd Story Tank

Water temp is 75ļ. pH is 7.5. Nitrite & ammonia are nearly undetectable. Nitrate is a balancing act for me but Iím learning. Keeping @ 10 ppm.

I notice slight changes after a water change. Wu & TíAng waggle a lot. They act a little frantic. This is more than in the past. I try to keep things subtle & go real slow. Iíve even taken to use a water glass to introduce new water. I used to slowly pour from a bucket. I donít even disturb the substrate now. It subsides after some time. I swear the boys are simply drama queens. Looking at me all hurt. Tess & Abby are getting along. Suck it up! Iím so confused sometimes. Iíve only ever taken care of Cichlids & I never experienced this sort of thing before. Makes sense. I know Mollies are hardy but Cichlids are near indestructible. Still, the girls are never phased. Abby likes to nap but Tesla is always on the move. She sleeps when the lights are out. The world is her oyster. All the world is a stage. Weíre ready for our close-up Mr. De Mille.
I do have photos Iíll post on my Aquarium page. If youíre interested, itís under the name Nikki Finn. For the time being. Things will change. Improvisation & adaptation are the keys to evolution.

Nikki has given birth!!! Air stones for everyone!

New Players in The 1st Floor Tank
The Fry Babies

Water chem. levels the same. Except the pH, itís 7.2 now. Time for a change but Iím holding off for signs the babies will survive. Donít want to test them too much right now.

Nikki is the proud mother of nonuplets! Thatís how many Iíve been able to count. Theyíre so tiny! Okay, after a few days the count dwindled. I count sextuplets now. Is there a certain diet fry need to survive or are they the plucky warriors their mother is? Itís fascinating. Iím eager to see what the mottled ones look like. Nikki is still huge. I wonder I hope sheíll have more. The last time I had babies it was with my Labiotropheus Trewavases. 6 survived from that brood. I had to sell them when I moved to Brentwood. So, I never got to deal with them past 6 weeks. What do I do about these babies? Maybe transfer them upstairs? Maybe Nikki ate the missing 3. Maybe sheíll eat some more. Naked baby photos coming soon. Get out the bearskin rug!

Fry need special fry food, although it would help if I knew what kind of fish you have. I think BBS (brine shrimp) would probably work. Go buy some brine shrimp eggs (Or go to brineshrimpegg.com and order some) hatch them, and feed the babies before they starve...

Mikaila31 02-11-2010 03:10 PM

Molly fry will do fine on crushed flake food, live food is best for any fish though.