Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Pregnant platy? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/pregnant-platy-36963/)

Chrysolite 02-09-2010 07:47 PM

Pregnant platy?

5 Attachment(s)
I was wondering if my platy was pregnant, or just fat. (I know, the second is probably unlikely)
I got two platies on the weekend, one male, one female. The female looked like she was fat when I got her, so even if she is pregnant, I have no idea how far along she is. So, if anyone could tell me if she is or not? And possibly how far along? I attached some photos.

Austin 02-10-2010 02:05 AM

I asked the same question about my platy. So I'm not the biggest expert on this, but I can tell you your platy is definitely pregnant! Almost all female platies are pregnant the majority of the time. Yours looks very far along and I'd expect babies within a few days or at least very soon! :)

Chrysolite 02-10-2010 05:54 AM

Thanks! So... when you say a few, that means... 2-3 days?

fryup 02-10-2010 12:24 PM

i would say no...because females have fatter bodys anyway and this one just looks like a natural female.....OR if she is pregnant then shes only a few days pregnant..........hopefully someone with better knowledge on this site will corect me if im wrong.

very good pics tho ....:):):)

Austin 02-10-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysolite (Post 322953)
Thanks! So... when you say a few, that means... 2-3 days?

Well I can't exactly predict it... I'd give it anytime from now to a week... though females are naturally bigger... that platy looks like it's gonna explode. :-P Plus, her gravid spot looks to be darkening. All platy's I've had in the past that got that big gave birth pretty soon after... Anyways, your platy looks very along... but that's what I think. However, sometimes my platies surprise me... I could see the eyes inside one of my platy's stomach (she had a see-through gravid spot) so I thought: "oh, shes gonna give birth any day now." But it ended up taking her like a week and a half. :o

btw don't put her in a breeder box... it's not good for the fish... unless you see her already start giving birth I don't recommend it. You do not want to keep her in a small space like that for too long, or stress her when she is near giving birth, she might give birth to premature babies.

Chrysolite 02-10-2010 09:07 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've heard that about those boxes. Besides, I have no idea what I'd do with so many fish...

Austin 02-11-2010 04:21 AM

If you want the babies to live just put lots of plants especially floating plants in. Platies aren't as carnivorous as other livebearers as well.

fryup 02-11-2010 11:49 AM

there worse than guppys....my platys were in heaven when my first 14 baby guppys arived....there were 18...see what im getting at

the adult guppys didnt bother them ....good luck if she is pregnant...:):):)

biokid101 02-12-2010 08:10 PM

yea id say now that it has been a while maybe no more than 5 days from now maybe. but i might be wrong.

Chrysolite 02-13-2010 07:55 AM

Kay, thanks. Her gravid spot's getting darker...