Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Tankmate suggestions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/tankmate-suggestions-36950/)

Promelas 02-09-2010 05:32 PM

Tankmate suggestions

I have a 29g tank that I'm slowly going to be stocking over the next couple of weeks and I wanted to check with those more experienced than me on some possible tankmates.

Right now I have:
6 small head and tail light tetras
3 green tiger barbs

I was thinking about adding:
3 regular tiger barbs
3 upside down catfish
1 or 2 dwarf gouarmi's OR 5 or so glass catfish
1 Siamese algae eater (maybe)

Is that too much for a 29g to handle? Keeping the maintenance up won't be a problem I just don't want to stress fish in a crowded tank. I've also heard mixed suggestions about keeping glass cats and tiger barbs together. Shrimp or other inverts would be cool as well, but I don't want to buy some just to end up a snack for a hungry fish! Any other suggestions would be awesome! Thanks!!

Angel079 02-09-2010 08:14 PM

Going through this fish by fish:
I'd recommend Cory Cats over the upside down catfish; they're are too aggressive to house with Tetra's.
The Barbs I'd also stock up to at min of 5
The Algae eater I'd leave out as well; no necessity for it only adding bio load really.
The Dwarf Gourami may or may not work; they often get aggressive during breeding tie and that wouldn't work with the Tetra.

Your best bet is: Select fish that will thrive in your water; so what's your pH and KH?

I have several shrimp farms and can tell you just about anything about them - But with Tiger Barbs in the mix; I'd give that set up about 3sec before the Shrimp are gone for snacks; they'd not even reach the bottom of your tank before the Barbs get a hold of them eating....

Promelas 02-09-2010 08:21 PM

I only have test kits for ammonia and nitrite at the moment, and the water hasn't been tested for about 2 weeks at the fish store. At this moment I can't remember the exact levels, but the water was neutral/slightly acidic as well as being slightly soft. I'm sure that doesn't help too much but that's all I remember at the moment!

Byron 02-09-2010 08:33 PM

If your water test results are as you say, that's good water for soft, slightly acidic water fish, and perfect for plants. Livebearers would not fare well, they need some mineral hardness and pH above 7. But aside from these, you've a wide open field, including any of the fish you mention.

I would be careful with tiger barbs, they are nippy, need to be in a group and the more the better to reduce their aggressiveness with each other, and that limits what else you can have with them. If you want tiger barbs, and a tank of just them and something at the bottom, fine; but if you are aiming towards a more general varied community, I would not include tigers. You cannot have slow, sedate fish like gourami with tigers.

Byron.

Promelas 02-09-2010 09:10 PM

Well I already have 3 barbs, so I'm pretty much stuck with em and I'll have to work around them. The 3 I have at the moment keep to themselves and don't really bug the head and tail light tetras. Are there any cats that would go ok with them or just cory cats?

iamntbatman 02-10-2010 06:24 AM

Most bottom-dwelling catfish should be relatively safe with them, though things vary from situation to situation and I have heard about tiger barbs chasing cories around nipping their dorsal fins. I would really avoid the glass cats though, as these are really skittish fish that would be terrorized by the tiger barbs.

Byron 02-10-2010 01:44 PM

You might want to consider exchanging the three barbs; most fish stores will understand your situation and be willing to give you credit, or even if they just take them. I have done this, acquired fish that turned out to be quite unsuitable, and returned them. It is safer for the fish's health and more responsible to rectify something like this rather than compounding the problem.

Byron.

Promelas 02-10-2010 09:56 PM

yeah I've been wrestling with that thought myself. the 3 barbs at this point seem to care less about the head and tail light tetras, but it would be sweet if i could get some good community fish in there. It's awfully hard to get consistent information about which fish to keep with which! I live 10-15 min from 3 fish stores and they all seem to give me different answers! :-?

Byron 02-11-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Promelas (Post 323418)
yeah I've been wrestling with that thought myself. the 3 barbs at this point seem to care less about the head and tail light tetras, but it would be sweet if i could get some good community fish in there. It's awfully hard to get consistent information about which fish to keep with which! I live 10-15 min from 3 fish stores and they all seem to give me different answers! :-?

That's where this forum and other sources come in. Fish stores are there to sell fish and products and make money, they are a business. And while many have good staff that are concerned over your fish, some don't. Plus, some staff are not that experienced or knowledgeable. Everyone has their own opinion on this and that, but sometimes science has the better answer. I never buy fish I don't know until I first research the species from several sources that I know are reliable. As I mentioned before, I had a couple of problems before I started doing this. There are several aspects to fish compatibility, and one must explore all of them to ahve a successful community aquarium.

Byron.

Promelas 02-11-2010 01:42 PM

I'm certainly trying to gather as much info as I can before adding fish, I tend to ask lots of questions! It looks like the Barbs won't be an issue anymore because I think they are all going to die. Made a frustrating mistake and unfortunately they're the ones that have to pay for it!