Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Snails in my tank that i did not buy! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/snails-my-tank-i-did-not-36919/)

pepecat33 02-09-2010 07:11 AM

Snails in my tank that i did not buy!

Hello

I have a relatively new tank - it was cycling for two weeks with live plants in it, and i've had three white cloud minnows in there for two weeks and they're doing well.

I have two snails in the tank - one i noticed about three days ago (little thing with a dark brown shell) and another one this morning - tiny thing. I did not buy these snails - would they have been eggs on the plants when i bought them? There was a white blobby think on one of the plants when i got it - would this be it?
And are they ok to keep in the tank?

Lupin 02-09-2010 07:21 AM

They're harmless. I'd leave them alone. When they overpopulate though, it usually means you are overfeeding wherein the leftovers are not eaten immediately by your fish. They make nice indicators for that preferring to consume dead animals and plant matter, and food leftovers.

Are these ramshorn snails or bladder snails (Physas sp.)? There is also the giant pond snail (Lymnaea stagnalis). I remember keeping a lone stagnalis and it never bred for me. It needed a mate to trigger sperm exchange which eventually results in reproduction but I rescued this one from a goldfish tank in the store.:oops:

colley614 02-10-2010 10:41 AM

Would a Chinese algae eater eat these small snails as I had loads of them living in my stones and in my filter. I removed loads of them into my quarantine tank then when last summer came I popped them outside in a 250 liter tub with the pond weed I'm growing.

Angel079 02-10-2010 10:58 AM

Snails are actually very beneficial in helping you maintain your tank well. So regard them as you lil cleaning crew!

colley614 02-10-2010 01:33 PM

Oh I've been miss informed then. I was told they release a toxin into the water that kill the fish, is this not true?

WisFish 02-10-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colley614 (Post 323049)
Would a Chinese algae eater eat these small snails as I had loads of them living in my stones and in my filter.

Not that I'm aware of.

iamntbatman 02-11-2010 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colley614 (Post 323163)
Oh I've been miss informed then. I was told they release a toxin into the water that kill the fish, is this not true?

That's one's new to me. If you had a whole bunch of them and they all died at once you might see a pretty nasty ammonia spike, but I can't think of anything else that would lead to a rumor like this.

Lupin 02-13-2010 10:10 AM

Jim, you just nailed it actually. Dead snails in large numbers = ammonia spike

As for someone spouting the info of snails releasing toxins....:rofl: :rofl:

stephanieleah 02-13-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 324958)
Jim, you just nailed it actually. Dead snails in large numbers = ammonia spike

As for someone spouting the info of snails releasing toxins....:rofl: :rofl:

LMAO too funny Lupin

I just had to chime in and say I LOVE snails for the above reasons mentioned and my fish like their babies so its like free gourmet snacks for the fish. Also, pesky things in the tank are a good indicator to me that other things are going on like overfeeding (as mentioned). So it's kind of like my litmus test of how well I'm maintaining my tank.

Mail them to me if you want...my fish will love you : )

fishinadish 02-13-2010 11:12 AM

is it true that some loaches will actually keep snail numbers down