Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Angelfish breeding? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/angelfish-breeding-368970/)

Austin 03-21-2014 04:00 AM

Angelfish breeding?

es the size of the others. Anyways. A few days later I see my Pinoy paraiba keeps going back to this leaf on an amazon sword and also a leaf on my crypt. Ponterifora (sp?). It's mostly him but the new zebra is doing it kinda. Both those fish are being indiscriminately mean to all the other fish except each other, although they nip at wax other occasionally. They're just sitting together in the same spot unless thy are chasing my other fish. Literally they have sat there the last 30 min picking at the sword and chasing fish away. I also think I may see a breeding tube popping out of the Pinoy paraiba, but not the zebra.... So, wondering if you all think they may be pairing off or not. I noticed similar behavior a month ago with the Pinoy paraiba and a different puillipine blue zebra but nothing happened.

It's freaking me out how much bickering is going ok between the two fish! The original Philippine blue zebra was the second most dominant an he's getting pissed that the othe one is being so mean to him! He was my second fav ;(
Posted via Mobile Device

Austin 03-21-2014 04:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They're about 8 months old. Hard to get pics since whenever I walk over everyone wants food!

Austin 03-21-2014 11:49 PM

Would it be okay to clean my tank if they are?! :o

Austin 03-22-2014 12:21 AM

Here is a video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-KExI3w5G0

Tolak 03-22-2014 12:37 AM

Took about 25 seconds of that vid, congrats on the pair. Sure, you can clean the tank, they will go after tools, your hand, anything they see as a threat.

Austin 03-22-2014 01:00 AM

Thanks Tolak! :D I'm so excited because I have been waiting about 8.5 months for them to breed but also not excited for the battleground my aquarium has turned into! I'm not expecting much from the first spawn but I'm hoping eventually after several to raise some of the babies. I will buy a 10 gallon tank and raise a few at a time. (:

It's interesting because I just added this fish and he seems very small! (: I never saw them lip locking though or fighting but I'm pretty busy throughout the week.

RackinRocky 03-22-2014 11:20 PM

Oh, how exciting is that? They sure are diligent with that leaf! I don't blame you about being worried about the aggression. I don't like aggression in my tanks either. Maybe you should take the others out before someone really gets injured, or worse? I hope you have somewhere to put them! They are so regal!

Austin 03-22-2014 11:32 PM

I am going to try to make a tank divider or something (: I hope they lay eggs soon but they seem to be taking their time...!

RackinRocky 03-23-2014 02:53 PM

Whatever you do, DON'T buy one of those dividers they sell. Worthless! Mine left a gap where an oto got through almost immediately, followed by a guppy. I finally just gave up after an hour and threw it away. Something you make yourself will be far more likely to work. If you do make one, post a pic! How is the GBR baby doing?

Austin 03-24-2014 01:56 AM

Thanks for the tip I am gonna look for some egg crate things and cut them to size. I want my smaller fish like tetras and guppies and algae eaters and even my ram to be able to swim back and forth. Although the paraiba violently attacked a neon tetra once for the most part the angelfish only attack the other angelfish. I wish they didn't choose to guard a spot in the middle of the aquarium... I hate the fact that the new angelfish I added is even worse than the paraiba one that was the mean one before.

Anyways no real updates on the happy couple... Still cleaning the same leaves but now focusing more on the green amazon sword. It's cute to see them swimming together if they weren't so antagonistic to all my other fish! They literally round them up to 1/4 the aquarium and then occasionally come over and chase/nip at them, for no reason!

I wish I could get photos of them hanging out together but food is the one thing more important than protecting their spot... And me walking up = food. I need somewhere comfortable to sit for long periods of time so they learn to ignore me xD

Oh and the ram is still doing well! He's cute but ever since I got him he does this weird thing where he zig zags up and down the glass in the back of the tank. Nothing new, he's done it for a while... just mentioning it. It's odd. But he seems healthy.