Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Tums ok? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/tums-ok-36881/)

La Reina 02-08-2010 07:31 PM

Tums ok?

Hey there, I'd really like to give my snail some Tums to help his shell, and I was wondering if the Tums would be ok for my Dwarf Gourami who is in my community tank with the snail. They are the mint flavore ones, if that affects the answer any.

Any feedback is hugely appreciated.

Angel079 02-08-2010 09:29 PM

Oh they're a snack for snails; they do cloud the water most likely thou.
As far as the flavor....hadn't consulted my snails there lately but I think anything goes with them.
The add calcium source; specially in softer waters is essential for them guys.

Angel079 02-08-2010 09:29 PM

Search the forum; I can't think right now where it was but we had a chat about that maybe half year ago too.

iamntbatman 02-08-2010 11:22 PM

I wouldn't add flavored Tums. Who knows what's in the flavoring component. I'd stick with something with more straightforward ingredients like calcium supplement pills (I've used Caltrate before).

Lupin 02-09-2010 07:17 AM

I disagree, Jim. Flavored tums are fine. The only ones I haven't tried are mint ones but there is extra ingredient there that is not supposed to be used for snails as it burns their foot in reaction to it. Use the flavored Tums. Strawberry ones usually attract them more than anything else but there are times a snail totally new to Tums will avoid it but if they walk through it, they still absorb the calcium via their foot.

Angel079 02-09-2010 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 322264)
Strawberry ones usually attract them more than anything else ....

:lol: Awesome and I thought I'm the only nutcase here "testing" who likes which foods the best; that makes me feel better about myself now :-D

fryup 02-09-2010 02:26 PM

the snails in my tank love to nibble on the algie waffers when i put them in my tank :):):)

iamntbatman 02-10-2010 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 322264)
I disagree, Jim. Flavored tums are fine. The only ones I haven't tried are mint ones but there is extra ingredient there that is not supposed to be used for snails as it burns their foot in reaction to it. Use the flavored Tums. Strawberry ones usually attract them more than anything else but there are times a snail totally new to Tums will avoid it but if they walk through it, they still absorb the calcium via their foot.

I'll take your word for it. I was just being paranoid, which was fueled by this tidbit: I recently found a "natural" flying insect killer that contains nothing but water, CO2 propellant and mint oil, which is the active ingredient. It actually works really well and kills flying bugs in seconds flat. Of course all creatures are different and I had no idea that mint was an effective toxin for insects, but it makes me wonder if more creatures are allergic to it (inverts specifically).

La Reina 02-10-2010 05:36 PM

If you sprasy a wasp with Pam spray, it will kill it. Why? Because the bug sufficated. One mint Tums in my 25 gallon tank did not affect my snail, if anything he looks way better now.

Lupin 02-10-2010 11:08 PM

That's good to know.:wink: