Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   shy parrots (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/shy-parrots-36819/)

MN007 02-08-2010 02:18 AM

shy parrots

i recently bought 3 blood parrots, ( please if you dont agree with thier creation, you need not post, i dont need to hear it) they are not dyed

they are very shy, except for feeding time (sometimes) i can get the little one to come out of his cave by holding a pinch of flake food to the glass and he seems to ease a bit for a few minutes then he bolts for his cave.

Its hard to tell if i am over feeding or under feeding if they dont come out. I have to dive under my comforter and peek out from under it just to see them, (am a big guy) LOL

are there any dither fish or compatible fish out there that will swim at all levels of the tank, and help the parrots become any braver by them seeing other confident fish out and about? they ignore the pleco, that i bought with them, he is brave and getting bigger daily almost!

i just wanna know what i can do to see my fish without needing to webcam them or be camoed under the covers!

any help would be most welcome!

thanks
eric

unlimitedx 02-08-2010 03:21 AM

I have 2 blood parrots living with my oscars.

The blood parrots have been living in the wooden hallowed log 24/7 except during feeding time. I've had the fishes for slightly over 1 year. They are quite shy!

iamntbatman 02-08-2010 04:15 AM

How big is the tank? How long has it been set up and what are your water parameters? What sort of decor do you have?

Lynda B 02-08-2010 07:26 AM

I have 2 blood parrots. One was always out and about. The other is just getting over his shyness and it's taken about a month.

Their tankmates are golden gouramis, zebra danios and a rainbow shark.

I've provided them with lots of secure hiding places, which they really need.

What I did to bring out my big guy was just leave him alone the first week, then I'd just sit by the tank and not move. Then eventually I'd place my hand on the glass so he could see it. And now, he comes up to where my hand is. I also give a little tap on the top of the tank when I feed them. He's now associated that sound with feeding time.

Be patient, it's well worth it. :-)

rrcoolj 02-08-2010 11:01 AM

Shy fish are one of the hardest things to deal with but it takes patience. Im dealing with some very shy nicaraguan cichlids and they are just now after two weeks starting to not hide from me but they still do. hanging out in front of the fish tank right after feeding I find helps. How big are the parrots? Find some brave fish that will entice them out. I would go with large livebeares like swordtails or mollies. You could also put in a convcit cichlid or firemouth cichlid. What's the tank size? Give them a solid month. they should eventually come around.

I know it can be frustrating especially when they don't eat but be patient my friend they will come around.

Lynda B 02-09-2010 09:34 AM

Eric, keep in mind also that blood parrots have superb eyesight and can see you even when you're relatively far away from the tank itself. You don't have to be close by to spook them.

Any progress?

MN007 02-10-2010 01:44 AM

I noticed that about the eyesight! :) the biggest one is most interested in keeping the medium and smaller sized one out of his cave, the smaller 2 are slowly comming around. i tried the sit at the tank and watch and finger to the tank method and they are getting better,at feeding time of course

Jill0 02-10-2010 01:55 PM

BP's will do good with many (most) tropical fish. I have tiger barbs in with mine but have also kept zebra danios and corys with them in the past. I think if you could get any kind of a schooling fish in the tank, that will bring the parrots right out of their shells :)

MN007 02-11-2010 05:05 PM

i lost my pleco today! :( hey was the most active of all, i notice my tank temp was flucuating abit and bought a new heater! all the BPs are out and about swimming and not giving a care to me! :) except the big ones still scared at times

rrcoolj 02-12-2010 08:08 AM

Good to hear they are coming around.