Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Oh crap. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/oh-crap-3680/)

Davidb86 02-26-2007 12:17 PM

Oh crap.

Well, about a week ago I bought a pictus catfish from my lfs. He is about 5 inches long, and is in good health. I had him in a ten gallon quarantine tank for about 5 days, and just this morning decided to move him to a 55 gallon. I netted him (i've done it 100's of times before with no problems), and upon release his left side fin was caught in the net. I've had this happen before, and usually the fish just wiggles right out of it with no problem, however.. i tried grabbing his fin gently, and pushing it with my other hands thumb to release it, and it seems that the fingers that were grabbing the fin slipped alittle bit and tore the soft fin material away from the barb that acted like a curtin rod. If that makes sense, considering I don't know fish anatomy :(

Anyway, would this classify as a bad wound.. or is that material like their mouthes which can heal quickly. Hope hes not in pain.

ps: I already know that people recommend using plastic containers to corral the fish into when they have spines, I just never have seen a need for it until this happened. Wont be doing that again.

caferacermike 02-26-2007 04:34 PM

It'll be fine in a couple of weeks. Check for infections though. If it gets any sort of irratation you might need to put a drop of iodine on the wound or treat with a combo of Pima and Melafix. As long as your tank is kept clean and healthy the fish should be fine.

musho3210 02-26-2007 05:25 PM

buy prima fix and melafix but only use melafix for now. If fungus happens (fungus is a secondary infection) then dose with primafix. Both are reccomended for these types of injuries, keep some on hand as these things happen a lot more than expected

Davidb86 02-27-2007 12:46 AM

Ok, tomorrow I will pick that stuff up from the store.

I just feel really bad now. He sits in one corner of the tank, with the hurt fin tucked right by his body, and the un-injured one sticking out like normal. I fed that tank tonight, and usually he is a hyper eater, swimming crazed around the tank.. tonight he just sat there in the same spot he has for the last 10 hours. I don't even think he ate anything, which worrys me.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Davidb86 03-01-2007 06:46 PM

Its been about 4 days now that my pictus has been injured and ive been using the primafix in a 5 gallon filtered tank with only him in it and the lights out. Ive tried feeding him twice a day every day, but he dosn't eat anything. Its gotten to the point where his wiskers are now droopy, and his mouth seems to be turning a pinkish red. Hes also losing coloration, his black spots are fading to grey. I think hes going to die in the next two days if he dosn't eat something. I guess only time will tell :(

lioness501 03-02-2007 03:04 AM

oh im sorry to hear that :(