Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Tank Agression (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/tank-agression-36794/)

NoaDon12 02-07-2010 05:21 PM

Tank Agression

i just got sum new fish today, 1 opaline gourami, and 2 albino tiger barbs, and my blue gourami that i had for 3 weeks now pulled off some of my opaline gourami's tale! shes always hiding in fear from him, and when he does find her, its agression at first sight. is there need for separation? pleeeeeeese respond! -NoaDon12-:shock:

jeaninel 02-07-2010 05:28 PM

Yes. Hate to say it but your 15 gallon is too small for those gouramis. And they can be territorial with each other. Also a note on the barbs...they should also be in a larger tank and a larger group as they can be nippy with each other as well and need more swimming space.

JohnnyD44 02-07-2010 05:33 PM

Blue gouramis are notoriously territorial......they can also tend to be aggressive....thats their given nature...I would add some plants if you can...my 20L tank I filled with plants, and my gouramis love to hide in the plants...this helped keep them calm...

I"m not positive, but, If this is for your 15G tank in your aquarium listing, that is a rather small tank for a blue gourami....they can grow to be quite large....my dad's tank, he has a blue gourami and it's about 7" long....

I'm sure others will be along with more advise...

NoaDon12 02-08-2010 05:32 AM

i guess i shouldn't have a problem with that, AGAIN! cuz my gourami is under a pile of gravel. she was probrobly trying to hide but got stuck and sufficated. the sad sad ending.....

JohnnyD44 02-08-2010 05:59 AM

thats horrible.....

not to sound like an jerk, but next time just make sure you do your research and you'll avoid unnceccesary deaths in your tank....

we've all been there, just consider it a learning lesson and move on :-)

NoaDon12 02-08-2010 03:20 PM

kk, thanks guys! P.S. exciting news, it think one of my tiger barbs are pregnate! i saw them mating this morning!!
when will she lay her eggs? how long do they take to hatch?????!!!!!!!! spaz, spaz! :D

iamntbatman 02-08-2010 11:15 PM

Tiger barbs tend to lay eggs on a regular basis. They're also really big fans of eating their own eggs. In the couple of years I owned barbs, I saw them spawn countless times and never saw a single fry.

NoaDon12 02-09-2010 05:39 AM

OK then, thnx again!!!!!!! spaz, spaz!!!

jaysee 02-09-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 322138)
Tiger barbs tend to lay eggs on a regular basis. They're also really big fans of eating their own eggs. In the couple of years I owned barbs, I saw them spawn countless times and never saw a single fry.

Same here, with tigers, golds and cherry barbs.

NoaDon12 02-09-2010 02:54 PM

i'm going back to the pet store this weekend to replace a dead fish, FOR FREE!!!!!! any suggjustions? (other than gouramis, i learned my lesson!!!!) its a 15 gallon tank, with a school of tiger barbs, (6), and a blue gourami. anything that will get along with them, and anything that wont eat them while im asleep! one that stays ner the bottom. thnx! -NoaDon12- :)